Data Pipeline/ETL Engineer
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 32 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
The goal of Riot Games' Big Data team is to turn data into information and information into actionable insights. Millions of League of Legends players continue to rack up billions of hours of play -- all of it logged, all of the logs frankly rather useless until our lab-coated Big Data scientists work their black magics, transmogrifying unwieldy petabytes through the careful application of open-source and proprietary technologies and bucketloads of intellectual elbow grease.
That’s where you come in.
As Data Pipeline/ETL Engineer, you’ll design and architect the pipeline for data gathered from tens of millions of players. Your creative, results-driven mindset and positive attitude will help you find new ways to gather player data, ensuring its quality by solving any problems you encounter along the way.
- Experienced: over the years, you’ve earned badges in relational database structures, theories, principles and practices; you probably a pro at ETL toolsets or ETL processes in large-scale environments and have likely worked with open source “big data” components such as Hadoop, Hive, Pig, HBase, Flume or Sqoop
- Up to Code: you’re an expert in SQL, ideally with MySQL or PostgreSQL experience, and possess strong scripting skills in languages like Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.
- Innovative: you’re a skilled lateral thinker, pulling insight from data and free-associating yourself into unique perspectives on problems that stump lesser innovators
- A problem assassin: you conduct problem reconnaissance and termination with the skill and ruthlessness of Bond; you easily identify and troubleshoot problems, quickly resolving issues
- Player-focused: as a gamer yourself, you know the importance of listening to player needs, especially the implicit needs that can only be uncovered by analyzing and understanding player data
- Design, architect and implement multi-data center, high-volume data pipelines
- Collect, transform and ensure quality of data, both structured and unstructured, from multiple disparate systems
- Conduct daily maintenance, monitoring, performance analysis, troubleshooting and problem resolution of ETL processes
- Identify data discrepancies and data quality issues and work to ensure data consistency and integrity
- Work with huge data sets of tens of millions of player records
- Perform table and interface design and support the customization of data model structures ensure efficient loading processes
- Optimize performance and scheduling of ETL processes
- Optimize architecture of live applications to facilitate data pipelines
- Create MapReduce jobs to transform, aggregate and clean data