Director of Operations
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 67 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As Director of Operations, you’ll set strategy and lead the teams responsible for maintaining and overseeing a high-speed, low-drag online gaming infrastructure. You’re keen to mentor and guide fellow ops Rioters, helping them level up their technical and collaboration skills, so they’re better equipped to tackle greater challenges and meet the diverse needs of an evolving tech environment. You’ll promote player experience over all else, building ops teams that’ll ensure first-rate service for players all over the world.
- An ops officer: you’ve racked up a decade’s experience in technical operations, at least five of which have been spent in a leadership role
- An expert in the field: you rigorously maintain a deep, strategic knowledge of the current technology landscape, particularly trends and emergent developments in hosting, networking, systems, storage and other relevant hardware and software
- A team leader: you know how to weigh the strengths of technical types and assemble crack teams capable of independently tackling some of the most challenging and rewarding tasks in their field
- A career cultivator: you use your in-depth operations knowledge to provide the kind of pointed, constructive feedback that gives both immediate knowledge gains and long-term goals to strive toward
- Professionally dexterous: where others spin a few plates, you can juggle the whole buffet; from research, to recruitment, to procurement and buildouts, you’re game for it all, sometimes all at once
- Set technical and leadership strategy for Ops, ensuring that server uptime is at the center of all operational plans and that teams prepped and ready when crises strike and players are in pain
- Lead and advise engineers as a wise mentor, helping them set ambitious, but realistic goals and encouraging them to chase opportunities to improve
- Work alongside Riot leadership to define service goals, objectives and metrics, ensuring clear alignment in and around engineering efforts
- Create an engineering atmosphere that emphasizes teamwork, organization and professional development
- Make financial plans and budgetary projections for the Ops team and prepare regular reports to keep leadership updated on projected versus actual costs
- Click the button below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.