MySQL Database Administrator
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 32 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As MySQL Database Administrator, you’ll administer and support all MySQL database infrastructure, ensuring the stability, security and accessibility of player data to help Riot Games better understand and improve player experience. The goal of Riot Games’ Big Data team is to turn data into information and information into actionable insights. Millions of League of Legends players continue to rack up billions of hours of play. All of it logged, all of the logs frankly rather useless until our lab-coated Big Data scientists work their black magics, transmogrifying unwieldy petabytes through the careful application of open-source and proprietary technologies and bucketloads of intellectual elbow grease.
- Educated and experienced: you earned a BS in Computer Science and designed, implemented and managed database systems for mission critical, large-scale applications while maintaining baseline performance and load testing for capacity planning; you possess conceptual knowledge of service-oriented architectures and a strong understanding of applied statistics and analytics algorithms
- Up to Code: you could teach a master class on Hadoop, HBase, MySQL and distributed/MMP database products (Aster, Greenplum, Netezza, etc.) and are familiar with Java, C/C++, Perl, Ruby, PHP and Python
- A MySQL master: you’re an expert in the MySQL platform, including high-availability design and operation, performance tuning, capacity planning, automated backup and recovery and you’ve mastered MySQL replication, active/passive clustering, disaster recovery and geographic load distribution of database services; your premium-grade MySQL skills are complemented by an expertise in data warehouse technologies including MPP databases and experience with multiple relational databases and NoSQL products
- Analytical: you’re able to expediently identify and analyze problems, moving quickly to implement solutions that maximize the efficiency in our data warehousing solutions
- Player-focused: as a gamer yourself, you know the importance of listening to player needs, especially the implicit needs that can only be uncovered by analyzing and understanding player data
- Act as the primary point of administration and support for all database infrastructure in the data warehouse and data services environments
- Ensure the integrity, availability and confidentiality of data, database systems and supporting services
- Optimize performance of database and data warehouse infrastructure
- Work with analysts and engineers to ensure adherence to best practices and data standards
- Act as the technical point of contact for architectural changes and improvements to a world-class data and analytics infrastructure
- Help support and optimize a global ETL infrastructure
- Test and benchmark current and future releases of database server software and related hardware technologies
- Click the button below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.