Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 67 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As a Services Engineer, you’ll be a part of the Game Service Features group, building all of the ultra-scale services that power the around-game League of Legends experience. Whether you’re matchmaking, champ-selecting, browsing your stats, hitting up the store, updating your runes and masteries, or spectating some sweet ganks, you’re using a system under this team’s care. While working with Riot’s game development teams, your knowledge of large-scale, player-facing systems will partner with your relentless pursuit of new technologies to design and implement game service features that add immeasurable value to players. We want well-informed, self-aware engineers who’re as passionate about high-functioning teams as they are about well-written code.
- Agile: you adhere to agile software development best practices and never consider a project “done”; you’re constantly looking for ways to evolve, streamline, and automate processes
- A synergist: you’re a natural at working with a variety of cross-functional teams to develop solutions; you explain complex concepts with ease, both on the page and in person, ensuring everyone is picking up what you’re putting down
- A backend surgeon: you go beyond superficial knowledge of Java applications and coding; using a wide array of tools to gather data about every moving part and tune its operation to perfection
- A tech zealot: tinkering is your thing; you juggle several personal side projects and your GitHub profile is bursting with your open-source contributions
- Player-focused: as an engineer, you have a unique perspective on how engineering wizardry enables virtual wizardry; you may not have specific game development experience but you’re maniacally passionate about putting your engineering skill to work for players
- Collaborate with a variety of Rioters to develop innovative gaming solutions
- Ensure system and software quality by writing, running, analyzing, and automating unit and functional tests
- Create server builds for League of Legends, data, or core services releases, and play an active role in developing the deployment and monitoring automation around these services in production globally
- Implement features and components created in response to user stories
- Stay up-to-date on new technologies and architectures, and propose ways to include them in the software engineering process
Your Tech Specs:
As an experienced Software Engineer, you’re an ace at the following technologies and are comfortable working with them day-to-day:
- Multi-threaded programming
- Object-oriented analysis and design
- Messaging Technologies (RPC, Eventing, REST, HornetQ, ActiveMQ)
- Distributed Systems Thinking & Design (SOA, Eventual Consistency)
- Caching Technologies (Coherence, Redis, Memcache)
- Persistence Technologies (MySQL, Hadoop, Riak, MongoDB)
- TDD & writing for testability
Click the button below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter along with links to your stuff on the mobile store or your GitHub profile if you’ve got them. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.