Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 67 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As Software Engineer, you’ll serve as the cross-functional engineer whose in-depth insight and experience will directly impact Riot’s new internal features, player-focused core services and the League of Legends backend. While working with Riot’s game development teams, your knowledge of large-scale, player-facing systems will fuse with your intense pursuit of new technologies to create and implement server and client builds, features and components. You’ll deliver immense value to players through your custom-scripted efficiency solutions that are tailored to address their needs.
- Educated and experienced: you've got a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience; you’ve dipped your toes in the dev pool working as a technology analyst or engineer elsewhere for at least three years
- Adaptable: you’re not flustered by complex problems, evolving requirements, or an environment where identifying the key stakeholders isn't always cut and dry; you’re eager to form thoughtful, well crafted solutions that are designed to handle changes for the long haul
- Intellectually curious: you’re constantly seeking newer, better, faster, scalier ways to do things; scouring Hacker News, GitHub, Reddit and countless blogs isn't just a past time but a passion.
- Agile: you’re comfortable working in an iterative fashion, breaking down complex problems into more manageable pieces; you recognize that no project is ever "done"--as software ages and technology changes, you're prepared to step back in, change direction, and even start over
- An equipped communicator: you mesh easily with pros from all disciplines and your impeccable communication skills help you explain complex concepts with ease, whether it’s in person, over email, or in tech documentation; experience working with distributed teams or third-party vendors is a plus
- People driven: you care about the human component in the software that you build, that at the end of the day, the things that you build are ultimately going to make someone's life better or job easier and more productive; understanding human problems and crafting technical solutions to those problems make you tick
- A Team Player: you are the consummate team player, working well with others toward a collective and common goal, perfectly willing to be both the playmaker that sets up others for success or the one stepping up and taking the big shots; achieving results is what ultimately matters most to you
- Collaborate with Rioters from across many disciplines from Finance to Art to understand the challenges that they face in their day-to-day work and partner with them to design viable solutions
- Build software applications across multiple mediums (web, mobile, kiosks, etc.) in response to the needs of internal stakeholders
- Implement APIs that act as a source of truth for internal information, including but not limited to: interfacing with 3rd party software solutions used by Riot such as project management or Google Apps, providing reusable internal authentication and security functionality, and providing a corporate SDK that could be leveraged by any Rioter or team
- Ensure system and software quality by writing, running, analyzing, and automating unit and functional tests
- Be an active participant in the engineering community at large at Riot, staying up to date on new technologies, architectures, best practices and being willing to share your insight with others in the organization
- Assist operational staff in the ongoing support, monitoring, and maintenance of deployed internal applications, triaging and analyzing bugs and defects as they appear
YOUR TECH SPECS:
As an experienced Software Engineer, you’re pro at a majority of these technologies and are comfortable working with them daily:
- Object oriented analysis and design (Java, Groovy, C#)
- RESTful API design, service oriented architecture (SOA)
- RDBMS (SQL Server, PostgreSQL), object relational mapping (ORM), SQL
- Messaging/middleware (ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ)
- Git, GitHub
- Continuous integration (Jenkins), Ant, Bash
- NoSQL datastores (MongoDb, Riak, Hadoop) a plus
- Experience with mobile development a plus
- Click the button below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.