Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most-played online PC game in the world, over 67 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As Software Engineer, you’ll be the cross-functional Java engineer whose in-depth insight and experience will have a direct impact on Riot’s new internal features, player-focused core services, and the League of Legends backend. While working with Riot’s game development teams, your knowledge of large-scale, consumer-facing systems will fuse with your intense pursuit of new technologies to create and implement server and client builds, features, and components. In the process, you’ll deliver immense value to players through your custom-scripted efficiency solutions that address their needs.
- Self-managing: you collaborate with your team to own every project from inception to production, tracking every step and identifying efficiency-maximizing opportunities
- Agile: you adhere to agile software development best practices and aren’t content to ever consider a project “done”; you’re constantly looking for ways to evolve, streamline, and automate processes
- A backend surgeon: you go beyond superficial knowledge of Java applications and coding; using a wide array of situation-specific implements to manipulate the most minor of variables, you make every digital nerve ending twitch just right
- Database driven: you have a deep understanding of the latest database technologies, so you always have the right tool for the job, including caching technologies, relational databases or solutions from the NoSQL family of datastores
- Passionate for technology: tinkering is your thing; you juggle several personal side projects and your GitHub profile is bursting with your open-source contributions
- Positively collaborative: you’re a natural at working with a variety of teams to craft solutions; you explain complex concepts with ease, both on the page and in person, so everyone understands
- People-focused: you’ve worked on distributed systems that concurrently support millions of people, so you know how to build systems that everyone can use—andyou have some great ideas you can’t wait to implement for players and Riotersalike
- Collaborate with a variety of Rioters to develop innovative gaming solutions
- Ensure system and software quality by writing, running, analyzing and automating unit and functional tests
- Create server builds for League of Legends, data, or core services releases, and play an active role in developing the deployment and monitoring automation around these services in production globally.
- Implement features and components created in response to user stories
- Stay up-to-date on new technologies and architectures, and propose ways to implement them into the software engineering process
Your tech specs:
As an experienced Software Engineer, you’re pro at a majority of these technologies and are comfortable working with them daily:
- Multi-threaded programming in Java
- Object-oriented analysis and design
- Large-scale distributed systems
- Messaging/middleware (ActiveMQ, HornetQ, Zookeeper)
- Service-oriented architecture (SOA)
- Oracle Coherence
- MySQL, PostgreSQL
- NoSQL datastores (Hadoop, HBase, Riak, MongoDB)
- Configuration management with Chef
Click the button below and don't forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.