Systems Engineer (Big Data)
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 67 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
The goal of Riot Games' Big Data team is to turn data into information and information into actionable insights. Millions of League of Legends players continue to rack up billions of hours of play -- all of it logged, all of the logs frankly rather useless until our lab-coated Big Data scientists work their black magics, transmogrifying unwieldy petabytes through the careful application of open-source and proprietary technologies and bucketloads of intellectual elbow grease.
That’s where you come in.
As Systems Engineer (Big Data), you’ll provide ongoing support for data warehouse and data services infrastructure and systems, ensuring Riot Games’ Big Data van keeps rolling, come hell, high water or technical difficulties. Your exceptional communication skills will help you as you smooth the transition from raw data to actionable insight about the players.
- Experienced: over the years, you’ve earned scars and stripes developing tools and automation (we use Chef, but we’re looking for someone who understands the concepts and can learn and contribute to our tools) and familiarizing yourself with networking infrastructure and concepts; you’ve aced one or more of: Hadoop/HDFS, Ruby, Chef, Python, MySQL, Postgres, Nagios, Cacti, Ganglia, SNMP, NFS and/or DNS
- Designed for data: you’re pro at application and infrastructure design; you probably earned badges in internet-based infrastructures, multi-datacenter applications and petabyte-scale storage systems
- A communications black belt: you’re a skilled engineer that takes actions informed by implied needs and so you communicate easily in the most appropriate medium, be it email, hallway conversation, sneakernet or messenger pigeon
- A problem assassin: you conduct problem reconnaissance and termination with the skill and ruthlessness of Bond, but in an elegant, scalable manner; you easily identify and troubleshoot problems, quickly resolving issues
- Player-focused: a gamer yourself, you know the importance of listening to player needs, especially the implicit needs that can only be uncovered by analyzing and understanding player data
- Support data warehouse and data services infrastructure and systems
- Automate the deployment, monitoring and alerting of Riot’s Big Data infrastructure
- Ensure proper monitoring of servers, environments and services
- Troubleshoot and remedy issues with hardware, applications and network components of Big Data systems and applications at production SLAs
- Build, configure and add capacity to Hadoop and HBase clusters as needed
- Complete system updates and maintenance when required
- Plan and implement capacity and resource expansion as needed
- Click the button below and don't forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.