Technical Game Designer
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 67 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As our new Technical Game Designer you qualify to work as a software engineer in the games industry, but you have chosen a different path. As a passionate gamer with an analytical mind, you are drawn to game design and seek an opportunity where you can combine your programming experience with your game design talent to solve challenging and interesting problems.
If you have strong technical skills but don’t meet the specific requirements of this position, please consider other design positions – we value technical skills in all areas of design.
- This flexible position includes both programming and design responsibilities which we adapt to your interests and capabilities
- Design and develop new features from scratch for League of Legends or unannounced projects
- Be the “go to” person for the implementation of complex content that stretches the capabilities of existing systems, or projects that require heavy programmer/designer interaction
- Be a leader within the department for cleanly implementing content with our designer tools and scripting language
- This is primarily a game design role, but if needed you must be able to perform the duties of a gameplay software engineer, programming in C++. Most technical designers spend the vast majority of their time on game design, but for specific projects up to 50% of your time may be dedicated to programming
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or other highly analytical field required. We further value candidates with graduate degrees and/or top tier university pedigree
- Deep knowledge of C++ language
- Widely played, especially with online games, with the ability to articulate what is strong / weak about the design of existing games. Deep knowledge of League of Legends valued but not required
- An analytical mind, strong problem solving & critical thinking skills. An ideal candidate will be of high intelligence while still possessing an intensely pragmatic streak
- Professional game development experience OR significant amateur game development experience (detail on your resume and include a link to comprehensive information on your project)
- Must have excellent organization and communication (verbal & written) skills
- This position is in our Los Angeles, CA office
- Must pass a background check
- Click the button below and don't forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
U.S. work authorization is not required upon application as we are able to assist with related expenses once hired if eligible according to the requirements of the Department of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.