Technical Game Designer
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 67 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As Technical Game Designer, you’ll combine your programming expertise with your game design talent to solve challenging and interesting problems. You’ve got the background XP as a software engineer, but are drawn to game design and seek an opportunity where you can combine your programming experience with your game design talent.
- Educated: you’ve wandered the hallowed halls of higher education and earned a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or another highly analytical field; a graduate degree will earn you bonus points
- Experienced: you’ve either been paid to develop games or done it just for fun, and either way, we wanna know about your project, so be sure to include the details in your resume with a link; you’re proficient in C++ and have experience working in it
- A gamer: your passion for play is matched only by the breadth of the games you’ve enjoyed online, and you easily identify and explain any game’s strengths and weaknesses; deep knowledge of League of Legends earns you a level up, but isn’t required
- A problem solver: when problems appear, you’re the on-call fixer, applying your methodical approach to clean up even the stickiest of situations; you look past the obvious solution, checking in with all sources to uncover any hidden issues lying dormant
- A communications guru: your well-honed presentation, persuasion and interpersonal skills help you effectively communicate goals and strategies to fellow Rioters; you’re able to write in multiple styles and tones while communicating a clear message that leaves no room for misunderstanding, gaffe, or offense
- Go beyond scripting to program changes to the game that achieve your design goals
- Design and develop new features from scratch for League of Legends or unannounced projects
- Implement complex content that stretches the capabilities of existing systems, or projects that require heavy programmer/designer interaction
- Lead teams to cleanly implement content with designer tools and scripting language
Click the button below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.