Technical Project Manager
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 32 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
As Technical Project Manager, you’ll work with multiple engineering teams to lead a large-scale migration project. You’ll draw on your experience and technical expertise to build and execute an ironclad project plan that accomplishes milestones and deliverables, but is flexible enough to allow room for risk and change. Results oriented, you’ll focus on finding the right solution to quickly and efficiently break down barriers for your team when they run into any development snafus. You’ll use your strong negotiation skills to strike deals with outside vendors, handling hardware acquisitions and arranging service agreements. You’ll also foster an open, transparent development environment that keeps stakeholders in the loop through proactive reporting.
- Certifiably educated: you’ve achieved at least a Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information systems, or engineering; a Master’s Degree and PMP certification will put you ahead of the curve
- Experienced: in addition to your education, you’ve racked up at least five years managing projects for IT, network operations, or platform engineering teams
- Agile enabled: you have experience leading teams in a fast-moving development environment and working with agile methodologies including Scrum and Kanban; you’re able to quickly change gears as new requirements emerge and development priorities shift
- A team leader: you maintain a positive, team-oriented attitude that inspires confidence and motivates teammates to meet challenges head-on
- A master tactician: you employ meticulous planning to set ambitious, but attainable goals, and carefully balance short-term solutions with long-term vision; not even the finest detail escapes your notice, and you take every variable into account, including: project scope, scheduling, redundancy planning, risks, and mitigation
- A communications guru: you’re an expert with MS Project and generate effective, transparent plans and reports that keep your team organized and stakeholders in the loop; you’re extremely approachable and easy to talk to for all Rioters
- Player-focused: your passion for gaming drives you to develop effective build and deploy tools that help decrease downtime and keep players playing, not waiting to patch
- Plan and manage a large-scale migration, defining technical and production release requirements as well as sustainment and data architectures for the Build team
- Design both the tools migration process and the information access and delivery effort for Build team projects, including data quality and testing
- Keep the stakeholders, customers, and team members super-informed on project status and in-sync with the latest development schedule and priorities – no surprises!
- Facilitate seamless collaboration across multiple technical and non-technical teams, identifying and breaking through blockers to improve process and communication
- Negotiate and manage relationships with hardware vendors
You have a broad range of project management and build engineering experience, including the following:
- Experience with large data center build outs
- Migrating services between data centers
- Handling contracted rack & stack
- Dealing with OEMs and VARs
- Establishing SLAs
- A working knowledge of OpenCompute platform, CentOS, Windows Server, Chef (OpsCode), MySQL, Coherence, J2EE, or Ruby
- Click the button below and don't forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.