Staff Software Engineer (Gameplay/Tools) - League of Legends, Modes
Job Id: REQ-0001222
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As Software Engineers, we work with both new and current technology, creating innovative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value.
As a Staff Software Engineer (Gameplay / Gameplay Tools) in the Featured Game Modes team, you will create new gameplay mechanics, develop tools and workflows that make it easier for designers and artists to create awesome experiences for our players, and ensure that we can deliver across all platforms (Windows and OS X) alongside every awesome event League of Legends has throughout the year. You will work as part of a multidisciplinary team consisting of artists, designers, engineers, producers, and QA. You will report to an Engineering manager on the Featured Game Modes team.
The Featured Game Modes team makes cool, unique maps and modes with the goal of giving players something new and exciting to play that revitalizes their experience with LoL. These have ranged from new maps and rules like on Howling Abyss (ARAM) and Nexus Blitz to modifications of Summoner’s Rift like One-For-All, Ultra-Rapid-Fire, and Snowdown!
- Build in-game features, including new functionality for champions, spells, and environment behaviors.
- Lead architecture requirements, design, and implementation, and perform code reviews to ensure a sustainable approach to developing and deploying game modes.
- Make it easier for artists to create awesome experiences by improving their tools and workflows.
- Collaborate with the multidisciplinary team to develop long-term vision and strategies that improve our ability to make interesting maps and compelling game modes.
- Ensure the team is adhering to engineering excellence which includes: code maintainability, quality, monitoring, operational excellence, and documentation.
- Provide mentorship to engineers, tech artists, and tech designers.
- Configure and deploy new maps and modes across our internal environments for testing and then around the world so that our players may enjoy these unique experiences.
- 8+ years of software engineering experience, with deep expertise in gameplay systems & architecture or game tools.
- Expertise in C++.
- Experience with profiling and addressing performance problems in a real time graphical application.
- Experience with Perforce and Git.
- Knowledge of digital content creation tools such as Maya, PhotoShop, 3D Studio Max, Wwise etc.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).