Staff Software Engineer (Services) - League of Legends, R&D
Job Id: REQ-0002079
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll work with both new and existing technologies, creating innovative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value.The League Labs Initiative is exploring an alternate way for players to engage with the League IP with completely new gameplay mechanics.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the League R&D Team, you will work on a multi-disciplinary team with artists, designers and product managers to create and support the many facets of play. You will be accountable for ensuring technical excellence of partner teams, working on services and features to support building new game features, and integrating this R&D game into the League services ecosystem. You will report to an Engineering manager on the League R&D Initiative.
- Create and operate the microservices for features in and around League R&D
- Definition, communication, and execution of services technical vision, best practices, architectures, and processes to ensure code quality, maintainability, monitoring, documentation, and operational excellence
- Build features to improve server reliability and performance
- Implement server infrastructure in support of new gameplay features
- Work with cloud technologies and services such as AWS
- Collaborate effectively with art, design, and other disciplines within game development
- Be on rotational on-call for live product support and operational assessment
- Provide meaningful code reviews for other members of the team
- Mentor junior and mid-level engineers in both technical and soft skills
- 6+ years of experience building large scale backend systems or game services
- Experience developing large systems from scratch, including gathering requirements and designing scalable, production-ready architecture
- 3+ years of deep hands-on Java programming experience
- Experience with live operation of services coupled with handling emergent and on-call issues
- Experience developing large systems from scratch, including gathering requirements, designing scalable, production-ready architecture, breaking down the project into smaller work items, and leading the development across multiple contributors
- Experience coaching those around them across all roles, and mentoring junior and mid level engineers
- Experience working with members outside of their immediate organization to achieve team/organization goals
- Strong familiarity with industry-standard tools, frameworks, and practices for their language(s) of choice
- Experience executing software engineering best practices within your team, including design reviews, coding standards, code reviews, tools improvements, source control management, build processes, and testing
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines including Jenkins
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker
- Experience working within the LoL and Riot services ecosystem
- Prior game development experience at any level
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).