Technical Art Director - League Studio
Job Id: REQ-0003495
As a Technical Art Director, you will lead and define technical art across all of the different creative and technical teams at the studio. You will partner with Senior Art, Engineering, and Production Leadership across the studio to create and implement long-lasting tools, workflows, and pipelines, so that creatives can work efficiently and without technical hurdles in production. Additionally, you will work with everyone across the studio to ensure healthy and consistent best practices and support across the discipline.
As a Director, Tech Art on the League of Legends' Sustainability initiative, you will report to the product lead of Sustainability. You will ultimately be responsible for establishing a future-facing workflow and pipeline vision, helping establish the next gen standards for Rigging & Animation tools, and building a long-term strategy for League of Legends’ multi-game future.
You will manage technical artists designing and creating tools in support of a unified source art pipeline that serves multiple games and engines. This role requires an extensive background in game-development and pipelines as a whole. You will identify strategic art resource needs and promote hiring for all tech art roles on the team. As a part of the leadership team, you’ll develop strategies and eliminate obstacles with other leaders to achieve broader product goals.
- Define and communicate a cohesive vision and standard for artistic workflows and pipelines
- Be the primary driver in defining and growing the discipline of tech art across the studio
- Lead teams in identifying and prototyping new opportunities to incorporate technology to increase art workflow efficiency and unlock new creative opportunities
- Lead and manage other technical artists, leads, and directors
- Partner with senior discipline leaders to define expectations between tech art, art, engineering, and production
- Represent the needs of the studio across Riot technical art leadership
- Fill in initial tech art gaps on new or exploratory products or teams, and set them up for sustainability
- Ensure proper staffing and allocation of technical artists across product teams
- Work with IT and other technical organizations across the company to ensure proper alignment and support for product
- 13+ years of experience as a technical artist in games or related industries
- 8+ years experience in management in games or related industries
- Mastery in at least one industry standard game engine such as Unreal or Unity
- Experience in all aspects of character pipelines (rigs, skinning, skins, etc)
- Expertise with Maya and scripting in Python
- Experience in shader development (e.g. HLSL)
- Experience with and commitment to building long-term maintainable, testable, portable, and stable systems
- Experience building strategic visions and working within leadership in large organizations
- Highly proficient communication skills and capacity to act as an ambassador between art and engineering
- Experience with ZBrush, Substance, and simplygon pipelines
- Experience working with external vendors and technology partners
As a part of the application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).