Senior Software Engineer - Player Platform: Mobile
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Senior Software Engineer on the Player Platform: Mobile team, you’ll be a key contributor to the building of creative solutions to difficult problems that delight our players.
Our team will rely on you to guide the way we make technical decisions, ensure that standard methodologies are being followed, and foster the growth of the engineers around you. You should be able to inspire change both within your team and without, ensuring that your team’s technical choices are consistent with and contribute to the wider initiative technical plan.
The Player Platform initiative builds the player-facing software and systems that are shared between games at Riot. You will be an integral member of a multi-functional team that is building the common platform on which Riot will build future games. We're seeking engineers who can bring new ideas to a wide variety of projects including desktop and mobile applications, globally scaled services like chat and accounts, and SDKs to enable game teams to deliver these experiences across different operating systems and platforms. Together, we will write outstanding code and tests while contributing to the products that will power Riots future games.
The Mobile team within Player Platform supports Riot's transformation into a sustainable creator of multiple high quality mobile capabilities and products across iOS and Android.
- Lead efforts in building sustainable and self-servicing products in support of Riot’s mobile future. This includes ensuring documentation, reference apps, code snippets and our CI/CD platforms are up to date
- Develop a strong sense of code ownership; identify owners for poorly owned code and help owners plan for the future of that code
- Deliver high quality software by writing unit, functional, and integration tests
- Keep track of technical debt; understand when to make tradeoffs and when to burn that debt down
- Provide thorough and meaningful code review for other members of the team
- Partner with product owners to create the best possible experience for both players and game developers by providing clear insight into technical requirements and limitations
- Own creation of technical designs and champion them to the rest of the organization.
- Estimate the size and complexity of work for planning
- Take the lead in technical phone screens and onsite panels to vet other engineers for hiring
- 10 years of professional experience as a software engineering working in multiple mobile tech stacks
- Strong knowledge of both iOS and Android technology ecosystems, including native frameworks and SDKs
- Experience providing technology solutions to technical and non-technical developers to use within their mobile project
- Prior experience building and shipping SDKs or mobile apps ultimately used by large volumes of users
- Significant hands-on experience with two or more of the following programming languages: Objective-C/Swift for iOS Development, Java for Android, Kotlin, C++ (cross-platform) for iOS and Android
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).