Engineering Manager - Player Platform: Mobile
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul, or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As an Engineering Manager, you’ll offer creative solutions to organizational design. You’ll also serve as a mentor for a wide range of engineers, overseeing performance management, growth opportunities, and instilling balanced accountability models for performance.
The Player Platform initiative builds the player-facing software and systems that are shared between games at Riot. You will be an integral member of a multi-functional team that is building the common platform on which Riot will build future games. We're seeking leaders and engineers who can bring new ideas to a wide variety of projects including desktop applications, globally scaled services like chat and accounts, and SDKs to enable game teams to deliver these experiences across different operating systems and platforms. Together, we write outstanding code and tests while contributing to the product that will power Riots future games.
As an Engineering Manager on Riot’s Player Platform team, you will be front and center in growing engineers while leading central technology solutions for internal development teams. With your perspective, these teams will be empowered and unlocked to ship value to players around the world.
The Mobile team within Player Platform supports Riot's transformation into a sustainable creator of multiple high quality mobile capabilities and products across iOS and Android.
- Supporting and managing a team of 4-6 software engineers ranging from associate-level to senior-level.
- Develop, track and report on team-health meaningful metrics related to performance.
- Guiding, mentoring and coaching individual contributors into effective leaders and high performing contributors.
- Establishing guidance and best-practices with regards to design, code and release processes for the products and solutions produced on your team.
- Owning and driving staffing plans to meet immediate and long-term resourcing needs for your team.
- Championing your sourcing, recruiting and hiring processes to identify and hire talented engineers in effective and accommodating methods for internal interviewers and applicants.
- Partnering with product managers to drive on technical solutions and implementation plans that meet desired outcomes and goals.
- Build and establish key business relationships with partners and customers.
Applicable Experiences, Skill Sets & Technologies:
- 7+ years professional experience as a software engineer.
- Proven experience (3+ years) as an Engineering Manager/Director of Engineering, preferably working on teams that build and ship public-facing software.
- Experience growing and scaling organizations to meet the needs of the business.
- Strong knowledge of both iOS and Android technology ecosystems, including native frameworks and SDKs.
- Working and present knowledge and experience in distributed computing, web-services, microservices architecture, API design, scalable system architecture and operating and supporting production services.
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively present and share information across a wide array of technical expertise and seniority within the organization.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in project management, prioritization frameworks and guiding investment strategies in people and systems.
- Experience managing and guiding leaders and team members via influence rather than command and conquer techniques.
- Demonstrated experience in automating build/test/release processes.
- Deep knowledge of cloud architecture across Amazon Web Services (strong preference), Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).