Software Engineer - Riot Developer Experience
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
Riot Software Engineers possess a broad understanding of the entire development cycle while honing their craft in at least one area of specialization. Not only do we have the opportunity to work with the cutting-edge technology needed to handle the scale of League of Legends, we're also empowered to explore new solutions to surprise and delight our existing and future players.
Riot Developer Experience (RDX) is a high impact team that allows developers around the globe to deliver value to players. We build tools, products, and services that automate and interact with infrastructure so that developers can hone in on their areas of expertise rather than needing to learn the nuances of infrastructure development. This means RDX is split into a number of sub-teams that work on challenges like optimizing our container-based infrastructure, creating microservices to simplify the foundation for development and operating services, or enabling game clients and community developers to communicate with our back- end services in a safe, reliable, and secure way.
As a Software Engineer on the Riot Developer Experience team, you’ll have the chance to work within teams across all of Riot, and learn the intricacies of their software and systems in order to better understand their needs and provide tailored solutions. You have a passion for building products for other developers, as well as an interest in the game development lifecycle. You'll provide mentorship to other engineers, create and develop documentation for ongoing support, and also participate in an on-call rotation in order to provide support and maintain high availability for our products and services.
- Create internal Riot developer tools such as application persistence solutions, deployment automation, service discovery, and monitoring tools
- Develop APIs that allow our developer community to build tools and services to interact with game services in a secure way
- Be on-call for live product support and operational triage
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements in existing systems and platforms
- Produce comprehensive user documentation around your implemented solutions
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to more junior engineers
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Depth of experience with designing, implementing, prioritizing and maintaining high-capacity, high-availability, and scalable software
- Experience working in container-based ecosystems and with a container scheduler (e.g. Marathon, Mesos, Kubernetes, GKE, Amazon ECS)
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, ideally Jenkins
- Understanding of networking concepts (TCP/IP, routing, etc)
- Experience mentoring and leading others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill for technical and non-technical audiences
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).