Software Engineer (Backend)
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
Software Engineer (Backend)
As a Software Engineer (Backend) in our Shanghai or LAX office, you leverage your T-shaped technical expertise to deliver high-quality Riot experiences for our players in China. You’ll focus first on one of these critical initiatives:
- Launch critical new Riot products + experiences in China
- Improve Riot’s operational visibility into League of Legends in China
As a Rioter in China, you'll join a team of internationally and culturally diverse professionals that share our prioritization of player experience, rejection of convention and maniacal passion for gaming.
To reinforce Riot’s collaborative culture in our China offices, we’ve decided to do away with the constraints of traditional hierarchical title structures that are more common in the region. Titles don’t really matter at any of Riot’s offices, but we chose to take this extra step in our China offices to foster a space where teamwork thrives. We believe that removing this constraint will promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and a focus on results. We promise you won’t need a title at Riot to make an impact.
- Technical expert: Broad theoretical knowledge + practical application of Software Engineering principles to global-scale distributed systems. You’ve spent 7+ years tackling serious engineering challenges.
- Experienced technical leader: You have 5+ years of experience as a Technical Leader, with a mature approach to setting the technical vision for your team. You understand that high-quality engineering isn’t just about having the perfect architecture or fastest algorithm - it also requires a maintainable codebase, an effective technical decision-making process, and ownership over how your code is deployed and performs in Production.
- Adaptable: You quickly adapt to new challenges, even if it’s outside of your expertise. You thrive in startup environments, are familiar wearing multiple hats, and have a track record of learning new skills across a wide range of domains + disciplines.
- Clear communicator: You drive clarity in communication, by being concise and articulate. You listen well, you build strong relationships with stakeholders, and bring visibility to technical decisions made on your team to the broader company. You’re fluent in Chinese and English, and can drive effective collaboration with Chinese-speaking engineers.
- Strong decision-maker: You have a rigorous framework for making decisions in ambiguity. You make tradeoffs explicit, when balancing the long-term strategies and short-term tactics. You know when to call for help.
- Set the technical direction + standards for your team (Craft Leadership).
- Lead and contribute to technical design + implementation (Programming).
- Use your broad knowledge to guide tough technical decision-making (Product Sense).
YOU SHOULD HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH:
- A modern programming language (Go, Python, Java, Ruby, ...)
- Building + designing RESTful API interfaces
- Common data persistence + communication technologies (SQL, NoSQL, Message Queue)
- Best practices for building large-scale, highly-available distributed systems
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.