Development Manager - Launch Team
Development Manager - Launch Team
Development Managers work together as part of the giant central nervous system that includes nearly everyone at Riot. We’re interlaced on teams throughout the entire company, coordinating across different products and regions as we share goals, insights, and standard methodologies. It is through this communal learning, growing, and sharing of information that we can help lead teams across Riot to delivery excellence.
Development Managers are delivery leaders at Riot. We lead teams to deliver player value through effective agile work-systems and practices. We focus on continual and consistent improvement, while seeking alignment and accountability with teams. A great Development Manager also offers strong leadership as well as mentorship to other development managers to level them up, and as a result, levels up the craft of the development management discipline Riot-wide.
As the Development Manager on the Launch Team, you will act as a portfolio manager between multiple teams across Riot to ensure game launch plans are systematically tracking dependencies and risks, and enabling Launch Producers to properly coordinate and manage customers and partners. As part of handling the launch portfolio at Riot, you will create and maintain a roll-up of existing development plans which summarizes all constituent facets of development: game platform, marketing, QA, submission and compliance, etc. You will then combine individual game roll-ups into a Riot-wide portfolio plan.
You will also be responsible for making sure the Launch team is working effectively by designing and implementing a proper work-system. You will ensure the team is aligned towards team mission, that team health is positive and that members are held accountable. You have great planning skills, should have experience building work-systems at scale, and handling multiple projects or portfolios. Facilitation skills are meaningful as well, as this role will need to facilitate difficult conversations and decisions between all levels of the organization.
- Partner with the Launch team, Riot Platform Group (RPG), Publishing, International leadership, and game leadership to prepare project plans to support the long-term studio strategy and product roadmaps
- Conduct operational reviews for project portfolios, working with project leadership to ensure their plans meet studio expectations
- Establish relationships with central and local teams to ensure a balanced partnership and contribution to product development and launch plans
- Contribute to the design and own the process
- Build the framework and own the process game teams will follow to launch their game effectively and sustainably
- Formalize and establish standard methodologies for shipping games at Riot
- Ensure launch producers on the team have a work-system that helps them effectively manage work as they help game teams develop launch plans
- Organize system of rituals between stakeholder and customer groups that facilitate strong collaboration, planning and good understanding of dependencies, objectives, goals and risks
- Take ownership and drive continuous improvement in the launch planning and execution process
- Responsible for Launch team health and effectiveness by building and facilitating good team processes and work-systems that lead to high throughput and team satisfaction
- Strong interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Strong understanding of what success in this role looks like, prior experience managing programs or portfolios
- Strong project, program management and/or agile delivery expertise, especially at scale
- Ability to facilitate meetings with leaders, those with strong personalities, and misaligned outcomes
- Ability to inspire change through influence
- Superior social skills
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).