Associate Systems Engineer
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul, or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
As an Associate Systems Engineer, you'll be part of a technical team behind building and maintaining Riot's services. Availability, performance, security, reliability, and automation will be your watchwords. You'll help development teams design and implement production and development environments, address system needs in new and creative ways, and ensure that Riot's infrastructure is capable of supporting all Riot initiatives.
You'll work in a self-guiding, cross-functional team with other humble but highly skilled engineers, focusing on a broad range of technical domains including network, systems, virtualization, containers & storage both on-prem, in several public clouds and spread across our Riot data centers.
This is an Associate position where we’d expect you to spend a couple of months in learning our systems and how Riot’s Infrastructure works. You’ll be surrounded by at least 5 potential mentors who are willing to help, coach, and guide while learning on the job. So, how will you know you're doing a good job? After 6-12 months we will evaluate using some of the following questions:
- Did you learn enough?
- Are you competent on at least one product/system?
- Did you contribute to the team, systems, and players?
- Eager: Eager to learn from senior engineers. Eager to take initiative. Putting learnings into practice and being able to contribute to the team, systems and our players.
- Somewhat experienced: for approx. 1-2 years (Internships included), you've ideally built servers of all types, bare metal, in the cloud and in containers and you've assisted in keeping an online production environment humming. You have experience running systems and you're at least a semi-pro with Linux operating systems.
- An Automator: you realize that automation is the key to scaling. You've assisted in making deployments hum with Chef, Ansible (or similar) and can script Python, Go, or both. You're familiar with the core concepts of object-oriented, functional, and other programming paradigms and have used one or more modern source control management tools.
- DevOps by default: you believe DevOps is a state of mind and, regardless of experience, you operate with total ownership. You recognize the value of iterative development and the buck stops at you for quality and support of what you deploy into production.
- Player-focused: you have player empathy, so you know that one of the worst feelings in the world is discovering that the server's down; you'll strive to keep the League of Legends platform infrastructure humming, so that doesn't happen.
- Approx. 1-2 years of Network/Systems Administration experience
- Tried a wide variety of Linux distributions and/or Unix variants
- Experience of DevOps and/or Agile/Scrum work systems
- Solid knowledge of one or more scripting languages - e.g. Python, Perl, Ruby, Go
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- A valid EU work permit. We, unfortunately, can’t sponsor a visa for this role
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.