Lead Game Designer - League of Legends, Champions Team
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends, which has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering unparalleled in-game experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives Game Designers exciting and complex problems to solve. Game Designers at Riot work to craft the systems, mechanics, and content that make up a deeply resonant player experience. We explore how to best push the boundaries of that experience in order to build new and engaging moments for players.
As a Game Designer, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
As a Lead Designer on the League of Legends Champions team, you will be instrumental in helping to lead a cross-discipline team responsible for the delivery and shipment of new champions into the League ecosystem. Having an understanding of League or other MOBA’s will be crucial to understanding what appeals to our players, as well as assisting in the design of a variety of elements (such as counterplay, depth, and thematic cohesiveness).
- Ensure that the LoL Champion Design is a highly performing team
- Work with other team leads to develop a vision for new and updated champions in LoL
- Ensure exceptional execution in champion gameplay and delivery schedule for a range of projects in flight from early concept to final polish
- Proactively anticipate player needs regarding champion gameplay and theme
- Effectively manage, coach, and performance manage designers on the Champions team
- Influence senior leadership frequently regarding product direction and strategy, both regarding Champion team’s projects and related work (e.g. game balance)
- Building positive relationships across other teams at Riot in shared gameplay spaces (in particular the balance and new modes teams)
- Demonstrated ability to design and take large-scale products to players
- Experience in leading a team - ideally of a range of disciplines and backgrounds
- Proven ability to generate effective and novel solutions for difficult problems in character design
- Experience communicating and expressing complex and nuanced designs in simple ways
- Has leadership experience resolving conflict, and (sometimes) offering difficult feedback with respect and poise
- You have built teams that are both culturally-healthy and high-performing
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).