Senior Backend Engineer - Team China Technology
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Senior Backend Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll lead without authority and provide other specialists with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As an engineer on the Team China Technology team, you would be the technical authority at the rare intersection of Riot’s products and the massive Tencent infrastructure that supports us in China. Our customers are the hundreds of Riot Engineers who build and support League globally, as well as the millions of League players in the region. We’re focusing first on this critical initiative: improving Riot’s operational visibility into League of Legends in China. We also drive technical collaboration and execution between Riot and Tencent engineers to expose, process, and visualize operational data (configuration, versions, metrics, logging) for the largest deployment of League of Legends in the world.
- Set the technical direction and standards for your team (Craft Leadership).
- Lead and contribute to technical design and implementation (Programming).
- Use your broad knowledge to guide tough technical decision-making (Product Sense).
- Manage the team’s process for delivering high quality experiences to players.
- Have a deep hands-on understanding of, and be accountable for, the quality and maintainability of your team’s codebase.
- Drive teamwork and alignment across the team.
- Consistently lift the expertise and skills of people around you.
- Technical authority: Broad theoretical knowledge and practical application of Software Engineering and Site Reliability Engineering principles to global-scale distributed systems. You’ve spent 7+ years pursuing serious engineering challenges, both as a developer and as an operator of critical Production systems.
- Experienced technical leader: You have 5+ years of experience as a Technical Leader, with a mature approach to setting a technical vision. You understand that high-quality engineering isn’t just about having flawless architecture or fastest algorithm - it also requires a maintainable codebase, an effective technical decision-making process, and ownership over how your code is deployed and performs in Production.
- Adaptable: You quickly adapt to new challenges, even if it’s outside of your expertise. You thrive in startup environments, are familiar wearing multiple hats, and have a track record of learning new skills across a wide range of domains + disciplines.
- Clear communicator: You drive openness in communication, by being concise and articulate. You listen well, you build positive relationships, and bring visibility to technical decisions made on your team to the broader company. You’re fluent in Chinese and English, and can drive effective collaboration with Chinese-speaking engineers.
- Strong decision-maker: You have a rigorous framework for making decisions in ambiguity. You make trade-offs explicit when balancing the long-term strategies and short-term tactics. You know when to call for help.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).