Senior Development Manager - Infrastructure Platform
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
Development Managers work together as part of the giant central nervous system that includes everyone at Riot. We’re interlaced on teams throughout the entire company, coordinating across different products and regions as we share goals, insights, and standard methodologies. It is through this communal learning, growing, and sharing of information that we can help lead teams across Riot to delivery excellence.
As a Development Manager on the Infrastructure Platform (IP) team, you will lead teams that build and operate everything from the network backbone, to the servers in our datacenter and in the cloud, to the services that run the operate the servers globally, to the platform that game developers use to build, deploy, and operate the game at all phases of development while protecting our players experience. This team powers the services and infrastructure behind League of Legends as well as paving the way for future games. We operate at a scale that challenges us to continually improve and shorten the time to deliver new features and value to the players.
Within IP, we’re looking for Development Managers who possess leadership, technical knowledge, curiosity, and interpersonal skills so they lead and handle all aspects of delivery throughout the development and operating lifecycle. Ideal candidates will have experience with working on teams to ensure they have an effective and sustainable process for planning, estimation, development, identifying and removing blockers, tracking and taking on dependencies, risk management, and continuous improvement. They will work alongside engineering managers and product managers to develop a shared vision for development of our backend infrastructure and services to ensure game teams can meet their needs and so that players have an extraordinary experience.
- Align highly autonomous teams towards complex goals while meeting the operational needs of current customers
- Regularly assess the team's maturity, health, and composition; relentlessly striving for cohesion and delivery excellence
- Manage, plan, and track production and development schedules and workflows, while raising risks, managing trade-offs, and eliminating blockers
- Continuously assess a team's current situation and adapt planning tools, Agile methodologies, and communication channels to ensure successful, sustainable and reliable delivery
- Create transparency and predictability via roadmaps, anticipative planning, and active risk management
- Drive team consensus on technical decisions and ensure that appropriate resources are employed to deliver high quality results.
- Create, maintain, and disseminate project information to partners
- 9+ years experience leading technical projects
- Experience with leading engineering teams and partners
- Led hardware/software products through entire life cycle – from inception, launch, to maintaining and operating a live service
- Led cross-functional teams to deliver products to worldwide markets
- Charter large projects with multiple teams
- Responsible for overall team health; it’s tracked and improving
- Aim to continuously improve Riot’s ability to make the impossible happen for players
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple groups
- Shown success influencing and developing productive working relationships with team members, colleagues, and internal or external customers.
- Strong technical acumen and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead project/task prioritization, project planning and schedule development.Have worked in a fast-paced matrixed technical organization.
- Capable of delivering on multiple contending priorities with little supervision.
- Experience working in a DevOps or site reliability engineering environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience building and deploying infrastructure solutions on a global scale
- Excellent knowledge of agile and waterfall methodologies, and ability to adapt as needed
- Ability to design, implement, and improve worksystems at the single and multiple team levels
- Experience in working with distributed teams and facilitating virtual meetings that are inclusive, engaging and dedicated
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).