Senior Software Engineer - League of Legends, Core Rendering Tech
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul, or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value working in a variety of broader domains. As a Senior Software Engineer at Riot, you possess broad understanding of the entire development cycle while honing your craft in at least one area of specialization. Not only will you have the opportunity to work with the cutting-edge technology needed to handle the scale of LoL you will also be empowered to explore new solutions to surprise and delight our existing and future players.
The Core Tech Team is responsible for the core pieces of League including the rendering engine. We build new rendering features, including materials extensions, post processing, etc.
Additionally in this role you'll:
- Support the creation of new gameplay features requiring new graphics capabilities such as mesh transformation, deconstruction, emission, etc.
- Assist us in achieving our ambitious goal of modernizing the existing code/rendering engine.
- Outside of core rendering you may work on runtime data management improvements such as streaming asset delivery.
While your primary responsibilities will be coding, you'll be a partner with other disciplines. In this role you will consult with art and design teams to come up with sustainable solutions that balance all of the following:
- optimized systems
- ergonomics for the creatives
- complexity of solutions
For more detailed information on some of the rendering technologies in League take a look at these articles in our Engineering Blog: https://engineering.riotgames.com/tags/rendering
- The primary responsibility for this position is as an individual contributor software engineer, writing code and authoring architectural design documents.
- You should have demonstrated abilities to complete full projects of a scope/complexity larger than a single individual end-to-end feature, inclusive of breaking down the project and working across multiple folks and potentially multiple disciplines.
In a senior engineering capacity, you will also have the following responsibilities:
- Identifying and resolving systemic issues across the product
- Participating in interviewing and act as a key influencer for hiring decisions
- Help with mentoring and career development of more junior engineers
You have proven experience with the following:
- OpenGL and/or DirectX9/10/11
- Experience on 3D games
The following skills are a strong plus:
- Cross-platform development
- Vulkan, Metal, or D3D12 experience
- Experience integrating solutions into a content pipeline, including artist-facing tools and performance profiling tools
- MacOS and Windows development experience
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00