Senior Software Engineer - Unpublished R&D Project
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas, but we also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. Our Research and Development teams are working towards putting the ‘s’ in Riot Games. As a Senior Software Engineer, you possess deep understanding of the entire software development lifecycle, while honing your craft in at least one area of specialization. You will have the opportunity to work with state of the art technology, explore new solutions to surprise and delight our existing and future players.
- Set the technical direction and standards for your team (Craft Leadership).
- Lead and contribute to technical design and implementation (Programming).
- Use your broad knowledge to guide tough technical decision-making (Product Sense).
- Manage the team’s process for delivering high quality experiences to players.
- Have a deep hands-on understanding of, and be accountable for, the quality and maintainability of your team’s codebase.
- Drive collaboration and alignment.
- Consistently lift the expertise and skills of people around you.
- Some amount of travel
- Technical authority: Broad theoretical knowledge and practical application of Software Engineering and Site Reliability Engineering principles to global-scale distributed systems. You’ve spent years pursuing serious engineering challenges, both as a developer and as an operator of critical Production systems. Specifically we want to see:
- C++ experience required; C experience is a plus
- Experience working on a SaaS game, especially in the journey from production to ship
- Experienced technical leader: You have 7+ years of experience as a Technical Leader, with a mature approach to setting a technical vision. You understand that high-quality engineering isn’t just about having perfect architecture or the fastest algorithm. It also requires a maintainable codebase, an effective technical decision-making process, and ownership over how your code is deployed and performs in Production.
- Clear communicator: You drive openness in communication, by being concise and articulate. You love to collaborate, you build positive relationships, and bring visibility to technical decisions made on your team to the broader company.
- Strong decision-maker: You have a rigorous framework for making decisions in ambiguity. You make trade-offs explicit, when balancing the long-term strategies and short-term tactics. You know when to call for help.
- Mandarin speaking is a strong plus
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).