Senior Software Engineer - Product Engineering
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in genre-defining games. Back in 2009, that vision gave birth to our debut title League of Legends, which achieved critical acclaim among players and became the most played PC game in the world. We are honored to serve over 100 million players worldwide every month.
We're looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you're passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren't afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
From Dublin, we provide engineering expertise for the whole of Europe. We support nine different regions and work closely with product managers, community coordinators, and player support teams. Most importantly, we prioritise the products and features that will bring maximum awesomeness to our European (both EUW and EUNE) players.
As Senior Software Engineer, you'll write the code that powers our European focused products and features. You'll work across a wide range of technologies and problem domains, architecting and building your own high traffic, high availability solutions, as well as integrating with Riot's existing platforms and APIs.
You'll work in a self-guiding, cross-functional team with other humble but highly skilled individuals. The team in Dublin is small but growing. We work in a wide range of technical domains.
As a software engineer in Riot Dublin, you could:
- Develop technology to deliver personalised experiences to our European players and monitor and measure their effectiveness.
- Add new features and components to Riot web properties like leagueoflegends.com and lolesports.com.
- Create compelling interactive experiences within the updated League client.
- Establish and refine dev ops tooling, infrastructure, and monitoring.
- Build, deploy, and monitor systems that support data centers and network backbone expansion.
Here are just some of the things we've been working on so far:
- Launching the eu.lolesports.com website, home to our EU LCS/LEC content and broadcasts, to a large and growing audience.
- Building a European tournament platform, enabling amateur teams to compete against each other in League of Legends tournaments.
- Crafting a new player signup experience with A/B testing and optimization frameworks, data collection and analytics, and new platform APIs.
While our engineers come in all shapes and sizes, we expect every engineer at Riot to be:
- Player-focused: You're a gamer whose passion for games means you never lose sight of the person who will ultimately be using the software that you build.
- Educated and experienced: You have a degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience and 5+ years of experience working on high traffic, Distributed Systems and microservices. Ideally with solid Java experience.
- A team player: You are a consummate team player, working well with others toward a common goal. Achieving results is what matters most to you, not who gets the credit.
- Adaptable: You're not flustered by complex problems and evolving requirements. You're eager to forge thoughtful, well-crafted solutions that are robust enough for the long haul.
- A consummate communicator: You mesh easily with pros from all disciplines, and your impeccable communication skills allow you to unpack difficult concepts with ease, whether it's in person, on Slack, or in technical documentation.
Your & our tech specs:
We work with a diverse set of technologies, but most of all we value engineers who are eager to learn new ways to deliver value to players. Some examples of the technologies we currently use include (but are by no means limited to):
- Java (primary language), Node.js, Python, Go
- MongoDB, Riak, Redis, MySQL, ElasticSearch
- AWS, Linux, Nginx, Varnish
- Docker, Terraform, Ansible
- Graphite, Grafana, Sensu, New Relic
We seek out engineers who have shipped products in multiple technology stacks, but we'd also consider experience in other technologies (for example .NET), if you can couple that with recent experience writing production code in some of the above-mentioned tech.
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page
- Click the button below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.