Senior Software Engineer (Java) - Products and Services
Riot Games was established in 2006 by avid gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience, and beyond!
We’re looking for passionate professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. We embrace those who see things differently and aren’t afraid to experiment. That's where you come in.
From Dublin, we provide engineering expertise not only for the whole of Europe, but also for all of Riot's worldwide player base. We partner with product managers, publishing teams, and player support specialists. Most importantly, we focus on products and features that bring maximum awesomeness to our players.
As Senior Software Engineer, you'll report into an Engineering Manager and you'll write the code that powers products and services deployed across the globe. You'll work across multiple technologies and problem domains, architecting and building high traffic, high availability solutions, and integrating with Riot's existing platforms and APIs.
As a software engineer in Riot Dublin, you could:
- Develop services to support personalized experiences to our players and monitor their effectiveness.
- Create compelling interactive experiences within the League of Legends client.
- Establish and refine DevOps tooling, infrastructure, and monitoring.
- Add new features and components to Riot web properties like leagueoflegends.com and lolesports.com.
Here are just some of the things we've been working on so far:
- Redesigning, testing, and optimizing player content experiences in the League of Legends client.
- Partnering with 3rd parties (like Twitch) to reward players.
- You have a degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of experience working on high traffic, distributed systems and microservices
- Deep expertise in Java
- You have a language agnostic mindset; picking the right tool for the job
- You value player empathy as much as we do; never losing sight of the person who will be using the software that you build.
Your and our tech specs:
We work with a diverse set of technologies, but most of all we value engineers who are passionate about delivering value to players. Some examples of the technologies we use include (but are by no means limited to):
- Java (primary language) / Kotlin, Node.js, Python, Go
- Redis, MySQL, ElasticSearch, Hazelcast
- AWS, Linux, Nginx
- Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible
- New Relic, Grafana, Kibana
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page.
- Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
Let's Thrive Together:
Because together we are better
We know that fresh and varied perspectives will make us better at what we do, so however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, we’re excited to hear from you. Don’t be discouraged if you feel you don’t fully meet every single one of the requirements for a particular role, there’s always room for growth at Riot. If you spot a role that will make you want to jump out of bed in the morning, we are waiting to hear from you!