Technical Director - Unpublished R&D Product
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul, or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. You’ll predominantly offer creative solutions to organizational design. You’ll also serve as a mentor for a wide range of engineers, handling performance management, growth opportunities, and accountability.
Our Research & Development teams are working towards putting the ‘s’ in Riot Games. As an Engineering Manager, you will lead the evolution of Research & Development games and content (UI/UX, visuals, performance etc) throughout Alpha/Beta, into production. Our goal is to craft worldwide games that are generational and give our players rare experiences.
- Influence product vision - You will participate in discussions about our product vision and ensure that vision is clear.
- Setting strategic vision - Help forge the strategy for how similar products get built and standard methodologies around their development.
- Deliver results - You should know what’s being built, why, and how. We are concerned with velocity, execution, quality, and technical debt.
- Communicating effectively - Communication is critical. Your tone should be positive and productive. It’s up to you to surface issues, opportunities, wins, and address them head-on.
- Cross-collaborating - You will work with teams that have different values, practices, and cultural norms. Be an advocate for what’s right for the product while striking a balance with how teams operate.
- Build extraordinary teams - You will establish teams that are balanced, highly functional and strongly aligned with Riot values.
- Learning and educating - Problems will need to be dug into from Day 1 and you will boldly seek them out and the best ways to pursue them. You will help teach your team(s) how to develop and make decisions for new and unexplored territory.
- Handling tension - You should be able to handle tension within and around the team. This could mean keeping a calm head, helping resolve conflicts or responding to emergent issues.
Role requirements and applicable technologies:
- Experience directly leading a high performing engineering team.
- Knowledge of what it takes to ship games on multiple platforms.
- Understanding how development teams work is key.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- C++, C#, Unity experience.
- Strong decision-making
Bonus points for:
- Experience directly building engineering teams.
- Mandarin proficiency.
- Experience working on co-development projects.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).