Senior Development Manager - IT
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, California and has 23 offices worldwide.
As Riot continues to deliver and scale content to a global audience of passionate gamers, Riot’s Information Technology and Security teams are packed with challenges and opportunities centered on designing, building, securing and maintaining global infrastructure that supports the organization’s growth.
As a Development Manager on the Information Technology (IT) team, you will lead teams that build and operate everything from the corporate network, and corporate servers in our datacenter and in the cloud, to the services that support Riot across the globe. You will also support game teams to be more productive and aware of risks while protecting the player experience. We operate at a scale that challenges us to continually improve and shorten the time to deliver new features and value to players and Rioters.
Within IT, we’re looking for Development Managers who possess leadership, technical knowledge, curiosity, and interpersonal skills to handle all aspects of delivery throughout the development and operating lifecycle. You will have experience working on teams to ensure they have an effective and sustainable process for prioritization, planning, and estimation. You will also help identify and remove blockers, track and take on dependencies, and focus on risk management and continuous improvement. All while working alongside product leads to develop a shared vision for the next level support Rioters need to deliver player value.
- Align highly autonomous teams towards complex goals while meeting the operational needs of current customers.
- Regularly assess the team's maturity, health, and composition; relentlessly striving for cohesion and delivery excellence.
- Manage, plan, and track production and development schedules and workflows.
- Raise risks, manage trade-offs, and eliminate blockers.
- Continuously assess the team and adapt planning tools, Agile methodologies, and communication channels.
- Ensure successful, sustainable and reliable delivery.
- Build transparency and predictability via roadmaps, anticipative planning, and active risk management.
- Drive team consensus on technical decisions and ensure that appropriate resources are employed to deliver high quality results.
- Craft, maintain, and disseminate project information to partners.
- Be a trusted advisor on organizational development and change management areas.
- 5+ years experience leading technical projects
- Experience with leading development teams and partners
- Managed hardware/software products through entire life cycle – from inception, launch, transition to maintaining and operating a live service
- Led cross-functional teams to deliver products to worldwide markets
- Charter large projects with multiple teams
- Responsible for overall team health; it’s tracked and improving
- Aim to continuously improve Riot’s ability to make the impossible happen for players
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Ability to drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple groups.
- Shown success influencing and developing productive working relationships with team members, colleagues, and internal or external customers.
- Strong technical acumen and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead project/task prioritization, project planning and schedule development. Have worked in a fast-paced matrixed technical organization.
- Capable of delivering on multiple contending priorities with little supervision.
- Experience working in a DevOps or site reliability engineering environments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience building and deploying infrastructure solutions on a global scale.
- Excellent knowledge of agile and waterfall methodologies, and ability to adapt as needed.
- Ability to design, implement, and improve worksystems at the single and multiple team levels.
- Experience in working with distributed teams and facilitating virtual meetings that are inclusive, engaging and dedicated.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).