Senior Database Engineer - League Database Engineering Team
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
The League Database Engineering team brings deep knowledge about databases, operating systems, performance tuning, monitoring databases using various technologies to LoL ecosystem. As a part of the LDBE team, you possess a depth of knowledge in the database technologies along with the breadth of understanding on infrastructures, systems, scalability, and computer science fundamentals to solve massive load problems. You will have the opportunity to work with cutting edge technology including containerized highly scalable databases, HA solutions, and various automation technologies.
You will work on the central team supporting all of League of Legends database infrastructure. You will develop and maintain a scalable infrastructure that supports one of the largest games in the world. Your goal will be to help launch, maintain and optimize the infrastructure in an automated fashion. The team consists of dedicated mentors, database engineers, and contributors with an extensive background in delivering the highest uptime for databases. Do you want to work on highly scalable, player-facing databases? If so, this is a perfect role for you.
- Design, and build logical and physical data models from the business and technical requirements
- Write complex stored procedures, functions, ETL jobs
- Ensure the databases meet modern security standards.
- Identify and optimize complex and long running queries, and remove blockages
- Set database modeling and SQL coding standards; educate the team and implement quality controls
- Solve production issues and provide on-call support
- Evaluate change requests and assess their impact on the production databases
- Ensure backup and recovery plans are sufficient
- Perform capacity planning and support monitoring in collaboration with development, NOC and IT
- Implement and Maintain high availability (HA), scalability, disaster recovery, and backup/recovery solutions
- Automate routine DBA tasks through scripting and/or open source tools
- Setup monitoring solutions to pro-actively collect, analyze and resolve database related issues.
- Install and configure MySQL instances, databases, and replication for optimum performance
- 10+ years experience with database design and administration across multiple systems including MongoDB, MySQL 5.6/5.7, AWS (Aurora, RDS, EC2 etc.) is required
- Experience with mentoring engineers in the database craft is required
- Strong SQL skills, Query performance analysis, Index Optimization
- Experience with either Linux/Unix Operating systems
- Experience with Standard Replication and Galera Replication
- Performance optimization with MySQL and Operating System
- Experience with database backups and recovery
- Experience with Percona Toolkit such as pt-online-schema-change
- Understanding of database sharding, and mechanisms to prevent full outages based upon data partitioning (sharding)
- Familiar with MySQL standard methodologies and security
- Knowledge of Chef, Git, Terraform
- Proficient in scripting/programming language like Shell, Perl, Python, Golang
- Experience working with DevOps and Agile/Scrum teams
- Capacity evaluation in terms of projection and status quo in terms of storage, performance
- Capable of consultation to build highly available structures, HA, Consistent HashRing, failover and cross region replication scenarios.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills- technical and non-technical
- Able to work with a high degree of autonomy and within an environment with ambiguity
- Demonstrable experience of the ability to lead via influence without authority
- Experience in evaluating mean database latency performance P50 and P99 values.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).