Senior Software Engineer - Live Services: Game Operations Tools
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Senior Software Engineer on Live Services, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
The Live Services initiative is committed to developing web services which help us become the most player focused gaming company in the world. To enable this, we need to be dedicated to running highly available, resilient, robust services. It means, engineering systems and mechanisms to failures with speed and agility. And most importantly in everything we do, it means we are obsessed with building a great player experiences.
The Game Operations Tools team is a critical component within Live Services team. The charter is to build control services which help operate our games. Building control plane software is a unique challenge because you will be helping build tooling which controls and orchestrates gaming software. Ultimately, you will be impacting over 100 million active players to have an optimum experience. If your interested in a significant impact, your role will be be to help us efficiently operate at scale.
As an integral member of this multi-functional team, you'll be responsible for three outcomes. First, you will work to raise the operations bar by improving availability, latency and alarm metrics. Second, you will improve code quality to API extensibility, simplified code maintenance. Third, you will improve usability, through intuitive UI and interface designs. You will be able to continually drive all these things mechanistically by building metrics or KPIs.
In addition to feature improvement, we rely on you to venture through new problem space as we support new games as well as inspire change and drive development of new services that would directly enable Riot's new games to operate live and support their worldwide audience.
- Building, operating, and maintaining RESTful services that are highly available and resilient
- Develop a strong sense of code ownership; identify owners for poorly owned code and help owners plan for the future of that code
- Build and deliver high quality software by writing unit, functional, and integration tests
- Keep track of technical debt; understand when to make trade-offs and when to burn that debt down
- Provide thorough and meaningful code review for other members of the team
- Mentor and guide other Rioters
- Produce comprehensive user documentation around your implemented solutions
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science
- 6+ years of relevant experience
- RESTful services
- Flask, Node.js, React
- Jira, Git, Slack
- Linux, AWS
- Container-related-services and Infrastructure as Code (IaC) familiarity
- MySQL or any similar database technologies
- Cloud-related technologies, microservices architecture
- Web application design and architecture, web services development
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).