Senior Software Engineer - RDX: Continuous Service Delivery
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul, or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot Software Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work on multiple broader domains. As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll work with both new and current technology, creating creative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to provide player value.
The Infrastructure Platform (IP) Initiative is a part of our Platform Group that builds and hosts global game services at scale, while also developing the infrastructure around it through the use of third party technologies partnered with proprietary software.
Riot Developer Experience (RDX) within Infrastructure Platform is a team that allows developers around the globe to provide value to players. We build tools and products that automate and work with infrastructure so that developers can hone in on their areas of expertise rather than needing to learn the nuances of infrastructure development. RDX is built around a set of different problem spaces and an RDX engineer may be required to go deep on one or more of them:
- Application Persistence - high-performance, cost-effective, managed persistence solutions for services across Riot
- Continuous Service Delivery - efficient pipeline from code to production including automation and artifact management
- Operability & Monitoring - how do we discover, operate, and monitor our entire ecosystem of microservices
- APIs and Extensibility - powerful extension points for internal and external developers to build enriching tools
- Application Connectivity & Edge - how do services communicate with each other in a secure, fault-tolerant, and efficient way
- Service Lifecycle - tooling and services to deploy and run containerized microservices at scale regardless of underlying infrastructure
RDX engineers work together in teams and report to an engineering manager who cares deeply about the engineer’s journey at Riot and broader career in gaming and tech. Beyond hard engineering roles, RDX teams are also supported by a set of product and delivery roles.
As a senior member of the RDX: Continuous Service Delivery team, you will directly improve the efficiency at which our product and game teams can bring their ideas into the hands of players. You will work every day with teams across all of Riot, and learn the intricacies of their software to better understand their needs and provide tailored solutions. You have a passion for building products for other developers, and an interest in the game development life-cycle. You love solving problems first and see technology as a toolkit to support that endeavor. You are prepared to mentor engineers in increasing their capability. You’ll be an expert in the tools you create and the problem spaces they cover. As a senior engineer, we will rely on you to help shape our technical vision and lead development work to provide some of the essential components that help us to achieve that vision.
- Create and operate tools and services that help accelerate all of Riot
- Lead the design and implementation of new software components
- Find and realize cost-effective solutions in different problem spaces such as application persistence, deployment automation, service discovery, and monitoring
- Teach, support, and guide other engineers to improve the technical bar and establish lasting mentorship relationships
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements in existing systems and platforms
- Be on rotational on-call for live product support and operational triage
- Provide meaningful code review for other members of the team
- Produce comprehensive user documentation around your implemented solutions
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 6+ years of relevant experience
- Depth of experience with designing, implementing, prioritizing and maintaining high-capacity, high-availability, and high-performant software
- Strong understanding of distributed systems, microservices, and software at high scale
- Experience mentoring and leading others
- Have worked across a variety of problem domains
- Identifying and resolving systemic issues across the product and team
- Have participated in interviewing and acting as an essential member for hiring decisions
- Experience working in container-based ecosystems and with a container scheduler (e.g. Marathon, Mesos, Kubernetes, GKE, Amazon ECS)
- Experience with distributed systems, specifically microservices
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, ideally Jenkins
- Understanding of networking - HTTP down to the network layer (TCP/IP, routing, etc)
- Understanding of relational databases like MySQL
- Understanding of software performance and impact of latency in fast paced online games
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for technical and non-technical audiences
- Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).