Engineering Manager - Riot Data Products
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of Esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide. That's where you come in.
As an Engineering Manager at Riot, you possess a blend of technical and interpersonal skills that allow you to build a highly functioning engineering team. You don't shy away from getting in the weeds and have breadth of experience in both organizational design and software development. You will also coach, mentor, and lead a wide range of engineers and will be tasked with performance management, fostering growth opportunities, and setting expectations and accountability for your team.
Riot Data Products (RDP) is a central engineering team whose mission is to build solutions that equip Rioters with data technology that helps them to impact players and Rioters. Our products range from data pipelines deployed globally that allow our game teams to publish a million plus events per second into our data ecosystem all the way to single page web apps that drive critical business processes inside of Riot and ultimately influences our ability to analyze data about Riot itself, our people, teams, and organization. Our customers are data scientists and engineering teams across all of Riot, as well as all Rioters globally.
As an RDP Engineering Manager, your team will be responsible for helping engineering teams working with big data to ship features while accounting for scale and reliability. The solutions will also identify how future designs impact infrastructure costs and complexity. You'll also work closely with our network operations center (NOC) to ensure that our existing portfolio of products are running smoothly across the globe.
- Work with product owners and other engineering managers to understand roadmaps, priorities, and general needs
- Serve as a technical advisor to product vision, identifying possible gaps in capabilities, and construct key technology milestones and objectives required
- Mentor engineers in their technical craft, provide career guidance, and help shape their long term aspirations
- Work in close coordination with our network operations center and live producers to ensure our systems are healthy and well operated on a day to day basis
- Answer live support calls and triage live issues as necessary
- Recruit and interview high quality engineers and help continue to attract top talent to Riot Engineering
- Design on call rotations, incident response plans, escalation paths for our full spectrum of critical live services
- Manage varying types of vendor relationships from contract staff augmentation, consulting services, and software providers
- Plan and execute change management around high scope projects ranging from the launch of new global platforms to the sunsetting and deprecation of legacy systems
- 5+ years experience of direct people management of small to medium sized teams
- 5+ years experience working with/in DevOps or SRE Agile scrum teams supporting live/production services and applications
- Coding or scripting experience in a professional setting using languages including but not limited to: Python, Java, Terraform, Ansible
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable field
- Knowledge of enterprise data storage and transport technologies, e.g. Kafka, RabbitMQ, MySQL, MongoDb, Postgres, etc.
- Knowledge within a diverse set of public cloud technologies: AWS RDS, S3, EC2, Lambda, Kinesis, Google Cloud Big Query, Google Cloud Bigtable, etc.
- Experience deploying microservices within a container orchestration framework (Docker, ECS, Kubernetes)
- Experience managing vendor relationships (staffing, SaaS providers, etc.)
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).