Senior Database Engineer - League Database Engineering Team ( (Los Angeles & St. Louis)
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
The League Database Engineering team brings deep knowledge about databases, operating systems, performance tuning, monitoring databases using various technologies to LoL ecosystem. As a part of the League DBE team, you have a depth of knowledge in the database technologies along with the wide range of understanding on infrastructures, systems, scalability, and computer science fundamentals to solve massive load problems. You will work with industry-leading technology including containerized highly scalable databases, HA solutions, and automation technologies.
You will work on the central team supporting all of League of Legends database infrastructure. You will develop and maintain a scalable infrastructure that supports one of the largest games in the world. Your goal will be to help launch and improve the infrastructure in an automated fashion. The team consists of dedicated mentors, database engineers, and contributors with an extensive background in delivering the highest uptime for databases. Do you want to work on highly scalable, player-facing databases? If so, this is a perfect role for you.
- Design, and build logical and physical data models from the business and technical requirements
- Install and configure MySQL instances, databases, replication and clustering for optimum performance
- Write complex stored procedures, functions, ETL jobs
- Ensure the databases meet modern security standards.
- Identify and optimize complex and long running queries, and remove blockages
- Set database modeling and SQL coding standards; educate the team and implement quality controls
- Solve production issues and provide on-call support
- Evaluate change requests and assess their effect on the production databases
- Perform capacity planning and support monitoring in collaboration with development, NOC and IT
- Implement and maintain high availability, scalability, disaster recovery, and backup/recovery solutions
- Automate routine DBA tasks through scripting and/or open source tools
- Setup monitoring solutions to proactively analyze and resolve database related issues.
- Report to the Central Database Engineering team and engineering managers of different product teams at Riot
- 6+ years experience with database design and administration across multiple systems including MySQL 5.6/5.7 and AWS (Aurora, RDS, EC2 etc.)
- Expert in performance optimization with MySQL
- Experienced with MySQL standard methodologies and security
- Deep knowledge in Linux/Unix Operating Systems
- Experience with mentoring engineers in the database craft
- Experience with database backups and recovery
- Experience with database sharding, and mechanisms to prevent full outages based on data partitioning (sharding)
- Capacity evaluation concerning projection and status quo regarding storage, performance
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills- technical and non-technical
- Strong SQL skills, Query performance analysis, Index Optimization
- Experience with MongoDB
- Experience with Standard Replication and Galera Replication
- Experience with Percona Toolkit such as pt-online-schema-change
- Knowledge of Chef, Git, Terraform
- Proficient in at least one scripting/programming language like Shell, Python, Golang
- Experience collaborating with DevOps and Agile/Scrum
- Can provide consultation to build highly available structures, consistent HashRing, failover and cross region replication scenarios
- Experience evaluating mean database latency performance P50 and P99 values
- Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children
- Open paid time off
- Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner on campus
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- Wellness stipend for fitness classes, massages, and membership at local gyms
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).