Engineering Manager - Esports Digital
Riot Games was established in 2006 by avid gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience, and beyond!
We’re looking for passionate professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. We embrace those who see things differently and aren’t afraid to experiment. That's where you come in.
Esports Digital develops new products that increase fan engagement and Esports watch time on a global scale. We've released our Watch Rewards product that allows players to earn unique in-game League content through watching our World Championship matches, Pro View which allows players to deepen their watching experience and see games from the POVs that they want to see, and Team Pass which provides players with even more watch rewards and fan expression for their favorite teams
As the Engineering Manager on the Esports Digital Initiative you will report into the Delivery Lead for Esports Digital. As an Engineering Manager, you will manage all engineering and technology for the initiative. You will also be a part of the initiative leadership team, helping shape the direction and strategy for all product efforts.
- You will lead all engineers and engineering managers in the initiative including mentoring, performance management, and career progression.
- You will help set initiative-wide priorities and product direction in partnership with the product team, and will own engineering organizational design, identifying skill gaps and hiring needs
- You will help set the bar for what winning looks like for Esports Digital and drive decisions that balance growth, sustainability, and innovation, holding your tech leads and engineers to a high standard for technical strategy, and an execution that matches the needs of the product roadmap
- You will collaborate with other Riot teams and products to leverage products and technology
- You will help negotiate and integrate vendor, product, and technology solutions that allow the initiative to execute effectively
- 7+ years professional experience as a software engineer
- 3+ years experience as an Engineering Manager/Director of Engineering, preferably working on teams that build public-facing software.
- Experience growing and scaling organizations
- Experience managing and guiding leaders and team members through influence rather than command and conquer techniques.
- Working knowledge and experience in distributed computing, web-services, microservices architecture, API design, scalable system architecture and operating and supporting production services. Understand the difficulties and trade-offs when building large-scale systems.
- Effective at presenting information across a wide array of technical expertise and seniority.
- Proficient with Scrum/Agile development methodologies
- Experience managing and leading a remote team
- Experience managing a team of 20+
- Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive many applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.