Vice President of Engineering
Riot Games, founded in 2006 is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and an important driver of the explosive growth of Esports. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges.
Reporting directly to our CTO, the VP of Engineering at Riot Games oversees the global strategy and operations of our central technology teams for Data, Infrastructure, and game and platform architecture. You’ll provide leadership and support to the leadership of these teams, and ensure central technology develops the capabilities, services, and products to meet the needs of our development teams and operations. You’ll do research and development on new technologies, set technical and operational standards across our software, infrastructure, and data practices, and measure indicators to validate results.
You will balance responsibilities across three strengths:
- Strategic Vision
You oversee the long-term direction regarding central technology development and operations. The strategy is informed by the needs of the company, our products, and the players. That strategic vision needs to be clearly defined and articulated, then accomplished through influence and agreement on the internal technical teams.
- Financial and Operational Knowledge
Technology as a whole is a major investment for Riot. Product teams manage the products they build, but this leader is unusually positioned to see the holistic view across the company, and you will improve the whole, to implement standards to improve product team’s costs and operations as effectively as possible.
- Technical Responsibility
Central tech owns the future vision, current engineering processes, and architectural and technical standards for us across multiple technology domains including platform, game technology, mobile, data, and infrastructure. You’ll need to understand the needs of game and product teams at a technical level, and translating those needs into capabilities and practices that empower the efficient and cost-effective delivery and operations of products for players.
- You will collaborate with other members of the technology leadership team, and Riot leaders, to inform the central tech strategy, direction, and operations
- You will lead and implement our strategy and goals that support product requirements
- You ensure the efficient, secure, and financially responsible use of Riot’s technologies for Riot and players
- You will build and implement appropriate technical standards and processes for operations and development
- Establish and lead to operational and capital financial targets
- You will develop and analyze metrics for the groups development, service delivery, and operational performance
- Evaluate and select platforms, tools, partnerships, vendors, and solutions to meet our company and product needs
- Directly lead the operational and functional aspects of our infrastructure, data, software development, and architecture to improve value to the company, product teams, and players
- You will stay informed on latest technology and game industry trends; make informed decisions about changes in our strategies accordingly
- You will work with your leadership team to provide support to other technology leaders and teams, defining roles, career paths, compensation strategies, and performance expectations within
- 10+ years of leading software development, data, or infrastructure teams/operations of growing scope
- Experience setting technical strategy on a company/global scale
- Building motivated teams and leaders, performance management, and mentorship
- Experience at a senior IC level as an Engineer or Architect
- Advanced Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
- We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children.
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available.
- Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations.
- Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off.