Lead Environment Artist - League, Modes
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering visually stunning experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives artists exciting and complex problems to solve. Here, artists are working not only with one another, but also side-by-side with game designers, narrative writers, audio designers, and engineers, to ensure that each piece of content from Riot reaches the level of quality players deserve. From animations to illustrations, cinematics to comics, characters to environments, we work as a team to put players first.
As an Environment Art Lead at Riot, you will channel your craft expertise, eye for structure, form, shape language, and design to lead your team of artists in building fantastic new worlds for our players to explore. This work will be treated with the love and care of a character and will be the backdrop of the game. Working within both design and technical constraints you will build optimized environments that elevate the purpose and mood of the game.
As an Environment Art Lead on Gameplay you will be joining the Modes team in the development of Team Fight Tactics, Howling Abyss (ARAM), Nexus Blitz, Ultra Rapid Fire, and much more. As part of the Environment Art team, you will channel your knowledge of concepting, modeling, and texturing to help tell stories through visually compelling environments. Your craft expertise and eye for structure, form, shape language, and design will help develop and build fantastic new worlds for our players to explore.
- Create 3D assets ranging from hard surface structures to organic foliage
- Coordinate with various other disciplines to ensure all assets are performant
- Establish the career objectives for the Environment Artists that report to you
- Work with your reports to help them hit their craft goals for the product
- Drive your team towards a creative vision to hit product goals
- Run and manage healthy and productive craft review session
- Performance management of direct reports
- Demonstrated ability in translating concept designs to performant game assets
- Demonstrated experience in hand painted textures
- Demonstrated understanding of optimizing low poly game assets
- Demonstrated understanding of composition, layout, and color theory
- Experience working with modeling, sculpting, and texturing programs such as Maya, Zbrush, 3DCoat, and Photoshop
- Demonstrate ability to lead and mentor other artists
- Deep understanding of the League art style, IP, and gameplay
- Capable of generating concepts when needed
- Experience managing other artists
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).