Senior Software Engineer, Game - Unpublished R&D Product
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As an engineer within Research & Development, you are armed with a wealth of knowledge on the intricacies of gameplay technology to inject life into Riot’s exciting new games. You will work in a small team alongside a product lead and designers to answer fundamental product questions to build experiences to fulfill our players’ impossible dreams.
- Ideate, design and implement prototypes to build genre-defining games
- Write prototype code to accumulate insights that can be applied in future development stages.
- As development advances into production, design and lead implementation on robust, scalable, performant solutions
- Collaborate with product and discipline leads to identify focus areas, handoff points, and provide the best solution for the development phase
- Help to distribute tasks to teammates and development plans
- Lead and contribute to technical design and implementation
- Set the technical direction and standards for the team, including identifying and iteratively improving engineering best practices for prototypes, code reviews, coding standards, and more.
- Mentor other engineers on the team in all aspects of game development
- 5+ years of gameplay development experience
- Experience developing and shipping games
- BS in Computer Science, or proven understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
- Strong OO programming experience
- Excellent debugging and performance optimization skills
- Experience collaborating with teammates across multiple disciplines
- Have an agile mindset
- Product sense, pragmatism, and player empathy in guiding decisions
- Strong communication, leadership & mentorship skills
- Commitment to building an inclusive, high-trust, solutions-oriented, and diverse team
- Experience using game engines (ex. Unity, Unreal Engine)
- Experience leading gameplay engineering teams
- Experience with art pipelines
- Experience with the prototyping phase of game development
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).