Database Engineer Intern
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul, or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
As a Database Engineer at Riot, you’ll have a variety of database and infrastructure tools in your arsenal, and a curiosity to research and evaluate new technologies that will deliver the most player value. You'll come equipped with knowledge of MySQL and Linux, as well as the ability to script in a language of your choice (Golang is a plus!). You have a natural tendency to automate tasks whenever possible, including disaster recovery, backup testing, deployments, monitoring, and clustering. You'll also partner with other DBEs and engineers across Riot in order to understand their data needs, troubleshoot high priority errors, and collaborate on the architecture and implementation of existing database solutions.
As a Database Engineer Intern, you may:
- Work with the LDBE in supporting and maintaining over 1800 databases.
- Automation through various technologies
- Experience in-depth performance tuning for databases
- Learn how to resolve live incidents related to databases.
- Enrolled in a college or university
- Returning for at least one more term following the internship
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 weeks at the indicated office during the summer
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Comfortable programming in Python or Java
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Experience working with Linux operating systems
- Experience with SQL
- Basic Networking Knowledge
- Basic OS and file system knowledge
- Basic database systems knowledge (MySQL, AWS Aurora, AWS RDS)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot Internships are paid, and we offer relocation and housing support. You can expect fully subsidized meals and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
Applications Close October 31st 11:59pm PT
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00)