Software Engineer - League of Legends, Game Flow Services
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Software Engineer, you’ll work with both new and current technology, creating innovative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value.
As a Software Engineer on the Game Flow Services team, you’ll report into the team’s Engineering Manager in our office in St. Louis, Missouri. You'll write core backend services to keep scaling League of Legends for our players. We'll need your expertise with platforms and microservices to design robust and reliable systems that are easy to understand and operate. You’ll also draw on your experience with engineering best practices to ensure that our testing and deployment tech is always improving. Finally, you’ll sharpen your eye for player value by proposing new features and by fixing tech debt that is slowing us down, and as League of Legends continues to grow, you’ll know that your code is the foundation that makes it all possible.
- Writing code
- Authoring architectural design documents
- Pairing and collaborating with other software engineers
- Participating in the team's on-call rotation
- Maintaining and improving the team’s testing and deployment tools
- Contributing to our processes for sustaining team health, efficiency, and best practices
- 3+ years of deep hands-on programming experiences in a back-end programming language such as Java, Go, or C#
- Experience profiling and optimizing the performance of your own code
- Experience shipping a service - preferably one that is customer-facing
- Experience with back-end software tools and technologies (Linux, MySql, Docker, Jenkins, etc)
- Experience sustaining and maintaining web services, including handling emergent and on-call issues
- Experience contributing to software engineering best practices within your team, including design reviews, coding standards, code reviews, tools improvements, source control management, build processes, and testing
- Experience with cloud-based services like AWS, Azure, or other proprietary variants
- Experience developing and operating global large-scale services
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).