Senior Tools Engineer, Tech Art
Established in early 2016, the Hong Kong Studio is Riot’s first international game development studio. We’re a diverse team, representing 15 nationalities and partnering with teams in the LA headquarters on our flagship title League of Legends, and on an unannounced R&D project, putting the “s” in Riot Games.
While operating like a startup—with autonomy and total ownership—we’re doubling down on our goals to build a world-class studio. In a vibrant, international city, on a continent that is home to the League of Legends World Champion teams for the last seven years running,
Riot Games is searching the planet for passionate people, throughout game development.
Will you help build Riot’s blueprint for a global, multi-studio world and make amazing games?
As a further step forward, we’ve done away with the traditional hierarchical title structure. Even though titles don’t really matter at any Riot office, taking this extra step helps strengthen our desire to keep teamwork at the forefront of what we do. Focusing on working together helps promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games.
That's where you come in.
The mission of a Tools Engineer in Tech Art at Riot is to establish and improve the systems, tools, rigs, and workflows that unleash the creativity of our artists and allow the production of the best possible art content for our players.
As a Tools Engineer, you’ll focus on defining and building the tools and tech that get our art assets into the game. This will involve building pipelines and workflows for DCC (Digital Content Creation) software, collaborating with Tech Art in the design of our in-house tools, and consulting with art to discover the best possible solutions to the challenges we face.
- Level up the end-to-end workflow for our many art disciplines, such as Character Art, Animation, Environment Art, and VFX
- Provide technical support to artists working from our art workflows, collecting data to further improve the tools they are using, making recommendations and improvements where necessary
- Partner with Tech Art to prototype new art assets and build asset generation pipelines and tools
- Collaborate with production to develop a long-term strategy to maintain and evolve the art workflows for your product
- Build close relationships with the Tech Art and artists you work alongside with to better understand their needs and collaborate on designs and workflow solutions
- 5+ years experience in game development or related industries
- Expertise in game development using modern engines, such as Unreal or Unity
- Expertise in content creation and tool development in DCC tools, ideally Maya and Photoshop
- Expertise with art pipelines
- Fluent in Python and C#
- Experience in shader writing (HLSL/GLSL)
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profis
We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously. Apply below and don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter.