3d Character Artist
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
We’re hiring for multiple levels, from associate to lead, so don’t get hung up on the title; we’re all about the team.
As part of the Character Art team, you’ll be the creative wizard who transmogrifies 2D concept art into living and breathing 3D characters, translating your 2D skills into a 3D workflow. Armed with these skills, you’ll model and texture high- and low-poly characters in a fast-paced, flexible, and feedback-driven pipeline. Because you understand the difference between creating characters and simply assembling them, you’ll use your skill to craft and bring life to champion art.
- Educated: you honed your artistic skills as you earned a BFA or received equivalent on-the-job experience
- A fine artist 3.0: your creative toolbox is updated for the digital age enabling you to agilely leap from an advanced Photoshop session to 3D programs including Maya, ZBrush, and Mudbox
- A hands-on creative: you build your characters from inside out, giving them lifelike form and movement thanks to your knowledge of human and animal anatomy and keen eye for light, color, value, function and silhouette; your strong hand-painted texture and hard-surface modeling skills bring characters to life
- A passionate gamer: given you already regularly stay up 'til dawn playing your favorite videogames – especially League of Legends– you’re able to understand players, so your creations connect with and impact them
- A humble teammate: you understand that constructive criticism helps you grow, so you seek it and give it; while you’re a motivated self-starter, you’re eager to collaborate because you know results are better with team and cross-team communication and feedback
- Collaborate closely with writers, animators, game engineers, and splash artists to define champions that share narrative and visual magnetism
- Model and texture new characters within the League of Legends universe and beyond as well as update existing champions
- Give and receive constructive, creative feedback across art disciplines
- Mentor other 3D artists, helping them meet and raise the quality bar of Riot’s artistic efforts
Don’t forget to include a resume, cover letter, and a link to your portfolio. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.