Senior 3D Character Artist - Unpublished Tactical FPS
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering visually stunning experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives artists exciting and complex problems to solve. Here, artists are working not only with one another, but also side-by-side with game designers, narrative writers, and audio designers and engineers to ensure that each piece of content from Riot reaches the level of quality players deserve. From animations to illustrations, cinematics to comics, characters to environments, we work as a team to put players first.
As a Senior Character Artist at Riot, you will bring champions to life by crafting and texturing high and low poly models. You will help build some of the most iconic characters in the world of gaming. Your sculpting skills, artistic eye and understanding of anatomy, form, and color will lead the way in character creation. Working within both technical and design constraints, you will use your knowledge of proportions, anatomy and readability to ensure models are optimized in game. You'll be self-guided and help raise the bar for character art at Riot . You will be a mentor to other character artists and support the upholding and sometimes creation of style guides. Your craft expertise and high-level execution will enrich the player’s immersive experience.
Project A is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter. As a Senior Character Artist on Project A you’ll partner with the Art Director and several concept artists to execute the visual style of unique characters and ultimately create new and satisfying experiences for our players.
- Produce the look and feel of high-quality 3D character assets
- Understand project requirements to influence and create low poly assets that are optimized for deformation and animation
- Interpret and push concept designs to the next level while accounting for technical and design constraints, such as poly counts, texture memory limits, and topology
- Communicate with various other disciplines to ensure all assets perform and are in line with project vision and thematic
- Guide and mentor junior members of the team
- 5+ years of character modeling experience in the gaming industry
- Strong experience working with modeling, sculpting and texturing programs such as Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter, and Photoshop
- Strong experience working with various game engines from licensed to proprietary
- Deep knowledge of human anatomy, form, and color theory
- Ability to create stylized characters through past professional or personal work samples
- Experience shipping at least one game title
- When submitting your application, please provide a portfolio of your high-quality character art - including stylized artwork.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).