Software Engineering Manager - Products and Services
From Dublin, we provide engineering expertise not only for the whole of Europe but also for all of Riot's worldwide player base. We partner with product managers, publishing teams, and player support specialists. Most importantly, we focus on products and features that bring maximum awesomeness to our players.
As an Engineering Manager in the Dublin office, you will report into the Director of Technology for Europe. You have a blend of technical and interpersonal skills that allow you to build a functioning engineering team. You enjoy being hands-on and have experience in both organizational design and software development. You’ll serve as a mentor for multiple engineers, overseeing performance management and career growth. You will also work with the other discipline leads to guarantee a clear vision is in place and that the team understands and executes against that vision.
Here are just some of the things we've been working on so far:
- Redesigning, testing, and optimizing player content experiences in the League of Legends client.
- Partnering with 3rd parties (like Twitch) to reward players
- Support and manage a team of software engineers ranging from mid to senior-level (4-6 Engineers)
- Mentor individual contributors into leaders and successful Rioters.
- Establish guidance and best practices with regards to design, code and release processes for the products and solutions produced on your team.
- Champion your sourcing/hiring processes to identify and hire engineers.
- Partner with product managers to work on technical solutions and implementation plans
- Build and establish essential business relationships with partners, distributed teams and players.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent field or equivalent experience
- 7+ years professional experience as a software engineer and 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager/Director of Engineering with HR responsibility
- Recent deep hands-on programming experiences in one or more of the following programming languages: Java, Node.js, Python, Golang
- Experience with “total ownership” of the systems your team is working on (e.g. Including deployment, monitoring)
- Working and present knowledge and experience in distributed systems, microservices, containers, and cloud architectures
- Experience managing and guiding leaders and team members through influence rather than command and conquer techniques
Your and our tech specs:
We work with a diverse set of technologies, but most of all we value engineers who are passionate about delivering value to players. Some examples of the technologies we use include (but are by no means limited to):
- Java (primary language) / Kotlin, Node.js, Python, Go
- Redis, MySQL, ElasticSearch, Hazelcast
- AWS, Linux, Nginx
- Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible
- New Relic, Grafana, Kibana
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page.
- Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
Let's Thrive Together:
Because together we are better
We know that fresh and varied perspectives will make us better at what we do, so however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, we’re excited to hear from you. Don’t be discouraged if you feel you don’t fully meet every single one of the requirements for a particular role, there’s always room for growth at Riot. If you spot a role that will make you want to jump out of bed in the morning, we are waiting to hear from you!