Art Team Builder
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
Riot Games' Hong Kong Studio is our first international development studio outside Los Angeles. With dim sum tea houses boasting hundred-year histories sitting across the street from modern skyscrapers lighting up the horizon, we're inspired by the city's ability to look forward without forgetting the past. The Hong Kong Studio office towers 72 floors high in the Central district of this major international hub in Asia, giving us a bird's-eye view of the buzzing metropolis and keeping Rioters close to its heartbeat.
Titles don’t really matter at any of Riot’s offices, but we chose to take an extra step in the Hong Kong Studio to break the constraints of traditional hierarchical title structures that are more common in this region. We believe that removing titles will promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and a focus on results. We promise you won’t need a title at Riot’s Hong Kong Studio to make an impact!
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraint.
That's where you come in.
As Art Team Builder, you'll be responsible for the management of the Art team's overall growth and improvement of the Art department as a whole. You’ll collaborate with the studio management team to define studio strategy. You'll bring your visionary leadership and deep understanding of Art department dynamics to Riot's Art team, mentoring art leads embedded on interdisciplinary projects and helping to establish a unified, consistent strategy.
- A gamer: your passion for videogames is what drove you to the industry; you love games and take play seriously
- A creative visionary: you see the big picture and find pleasure in unravelling complex studio-wide challenges; planning for a scalable and sustainable art organization is in your DNA
- Strategic: you are deliberate in each step you take; your strategic planning and results-driven attitude make you an effective leader who can balance and prioritize short-term solutions without losing sight of the long-term vision of an Art organization
- An effective communicator: you communicate easily with both the studio management team and art leaders in the most appropriate medium, be it email, morning stand-up or a hallway conversation; you're comfortable interfacing with Rioters of all disciplines and backgrounds and are able to quickly separate the important stuff from "fluff”
- A team builder: an art team builder is the leader of leaders; you’ll be responsible for building a high performing art organization that’ll meet the needs of the Hong Kong studio
- Motivational: you don't lean on clichéd inspirational posters to motivate; you help others empower themselves by fostering an environment of shared ownership, constructive criticism, recognition, appreciation, and collaboration; you're able to identify what motivates people to help them achieve their best results
- An idea accelerator: your creative ideas and the creative ideas of your team don't end at the concept phase, because you push forward the ideas you know will work IRL; you know what brilliant looks like and have no problems pushing others past mental roadblocks with brainstorming sessions that end in unprecedented innovation and drenched furniture
- Managerially courageous: you know being a leader ain't easy; you face delicate situations head on, dish out honest and critical feedback, confidently deal with people problems, and are unafraid to be the bearer of bad news when necessary – all because you know it's better to take action and foster change to help a team thrive
- Proactively collaborate with the studio management team to define studio strategy, set team goals, and shepherd the art team to ship world-class products that align with studio goals
- Mentor team leads, and effectively grow them to be Art Team Builders
- Manage team members and work with the Art Team Builders and team leads to provide work direction, performance reviews, and coaching
- Create and implement action plans for the department's future success, emphasizing training and development
- Actively support other Art Team Builders and the art department by sharing best practices, elevating art direction at Riot, and contributing as a stakeholder and community member
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.