Staff Software Engineer - Riot Developer Experience, Service Lifecycle
Riot Developer Experience (RDX) enables developers around the globe to provide value to players. We accelerate game teams all across Riot in how they develop, deploy, and operate their backend microservices at scale - globally.
RDX engineers work together in high performing teams and report to an engineering manager who cares deeply about the engineer’s journey at Riot and broader career in gaming and tech. Beyond hard engineering roles, RDX teams are also supported by a set of product and delivery roles.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the RDX Service Lifecycle Team, you'll build products and services that enable Riot developers to deploy and manage services globally. Our engineers leverage their expertise in building large-scale, highly-available systems to build and maintain products that manage the lifecycle and network connectivity of services deployed across all regions we support. We closely collaborate with game developers for products like League of Legends, Legends of Runeterra, and VALORANT so they can focus on developing their product without concern for differences in regions or how their services will be deployed.
- Create and operate tools and services that help accelerate all of Riot
- Lead the design and implementation of new software components
- Find and realize cost-effective solutions in different problem spaces such as application persistence, deployment automation, service discovery, and monitoring
- Teach, support, and guide other engineers to improve the technical bar and establish lasting mentorship relationships
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support, and enhancements in existing platforms
- Be on rotational on-call for live product support and operational assessment
- Provide meaningful code review for other members of the team
- Produce comprehensive user documentation around your implemented solutions
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- Depth of experience with designing, prioritizing, and maintaining high-capacity, high-availability, and high-performance software
- Understand distributed systems, micro-services, and software at high scale
- Experience working in container-based ecosystems and with a container scheduler (e.g. Marathon, Mesos, Kubernetes, GKE, Amazon ECS)
- Experience with distributed systems, specifically micro-services
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, ideally Jenkins
- Understand networking - HTTP down to the network layer (TCP/IP, routing, etc.)
- Understand relational databases like MySQL
- Understand software performance and influence latency in online games
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and making decisions that focus on the delight of players. We will look at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players and fans, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).