Software Engineer II - Riot Developer Experience, Edge
Riot Developer Experience (RDX) enables developers around the globe to provide value to players. We accelerate game teams all across Riot in how they develop, deploy, and operate their backend microservices at scale - globally.
RDX engineers work together in high performing teams and report to an engineering manager who cares deeply about the engineer’s journey at Riot and broader career in gaming and tech. Beyond hard engineering roles, RDX teams are also supported by a set of product and delivery roles.
As a Software Engineer II on the RDX Edge team, you'll build products and services that unlock the ability for Riot developers to securely publish, maintain, and monitor their APIs for internal and external use at scale. Our engineers leverage their expertise in building large-scale, highly-available systems to build a managed API gateway service and supporting tooling that brings value to millions of players across the world, by handling everything necessary to securely accept and process hundreds of thousands of concurrent API calls for the Riot Games API and critical game loop services used across products like League of Legends, VALORANT, and more.
- Create and operate tools and services that help accelerate all of Riot
- Lead the design and implementation of new software components
- Teach, support, and guide other engineers to improve the technical bar and establish lasting mentorship relationships
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements in existing platforms
- Be on rotational on-call for live product support and operational assessment
- Provide meaningful code review for other members of the team
- Produce comprehensive user documentation around your implemented solutions
- Participate in interviews and hiring, helping shape and evolve the culture of the team
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field or relevant professional experience
- 6+ years of relevant experience
- Depth of experience with designing, prioritizing and maintaining high-capacity, high-availability, and high-performant software
- Understand distributed systems, microservices, and software at high scale
- Proven ability to mentor and lead others
- Experience working in container-based ecosystems and with a container scheduler (e.g. Marathon, Mesos, Kubernetes, GKE, Amazon ECS)
- Experience with distributed systems, specifically microservices
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, ideally Jenkins
- Understand networking - HTTP down to the network layer (TCP/IP, routing, etc)
- Understand relational databases like MySQL
- Understand software performance and influence latency in online games
- Experience with API design, preferably using REST
- Experience with AWS (or comparable cloud environments)
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).