VFX Art Lead - League, Champions
As VFX Artists at Riot, we design and help implement the sleek, dynamic and dramatic special effects that add atmosphere and depth to gameplay. We create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information. We use your artistic and technical skills to breathe life into undead spells, channel primal emotions and capture the essence of hundreds of champions.
As a Lead VFX Artist on the Champions team, you will report to the Associate Art Director. You will support VFX artists, both in craft and career as we create assets that will both surprise and delight players. Work may vary from creating new champion abilities, updating older champions, and supporting Pre Season updates. You will work closely with Product Leads, Delivery Leads, Stakeholders, and the Associate Art Director to stay aligned on vision and priorities. Quickly mediate and resolve craft disagreements and misalignments. Prioritize the craft’s health and support, above personally contributing to art production. Run and manage healthy and productive craft review sessions. Work closely with the Art Leads on other LoL initiatives to build a ‘future forward’ workflow and consistent quality and style.
- As a leader on the art team, you’ll provide direction for the VFX team
- You'll set a clear vision, provide consistent feedback, and build trust with your team
- Balance visual satisfaction and gameplay clarity to ensure amazing effects represent a given action or state
- Craft aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information and bring together the essence of characters
- Use your understanding of visual effects to combine brand new assets and classic designs elegantly
- Find creative solutions to eliminate hard problems in production and as-needed
- Provide as-needed support of all aspects of VFX process; from set-up through production and troubleshooting
- You'll hold the team accountable to the creation of high-quality work and performance management
- You'll level up other VFX Artists and critique their work
- Provide hands on craft support to the product where needed
- Be an available resource for other products seeking clarity on Champion VFX
- Support the Associate Art Director on emergent tasks where needed
- 7+ years’ experience in video games industry
- Advanced skills in 3D/2D Software - Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop
- Experience creating high-quality, stylized real-time VFX
- Shipped titles as a Senior or Lead VFX Artist
- High proficiency in VFX development, including fundamentals like timing, shape language, color theory and mesh engineering
- Knowledge of the MOBA genre, ideally League of Legends, as it pertains to game design, isometric content and visual clarity
- Past leadership or management experience
- Familiarity with the League of Legends IP and skins universes
- Experience with the League of Legends tools and pipeline
- Tools experience: have worked in several tools, pipelines, and game engines.
- Experience giving direction and delivering clear, constructive feedback to vendors
As a part of the application process, you will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of your work and may be asked to complete an art test.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).