Manager, Software Engineering - League, Personalization
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As Engineering Managers, we gain organizational alignment by building a strong engineering vision and offering creative solutions to organizational design. We also serve as mentors for a team of engineers, overseeing their performance and trying to find stretch opportunities for their growth while maintaining a focus on results.
As a Manager, Software Engineering on the Merchant Guild team in League’s Player Immersion and Expression initiative, you will lead the delivery of new features and content to our players. The Merchant Guild team is focused on creating new and expressive content, innovative approaches to discovering and acquiring content, and immersive experiences that delight the players of League of Legends and Team Fight Tactics. As the Engineering Manager for this team, you will lead a passionate software team in building solutions that can be reused across multiple products and games. You will report into the Initiative Engineering Lead.
- Create, review, and reframe an engineering vision with the team and key stakeholders including the Technology, Product, and Process Leads.
- Support the vision with a solid strategy including the reallocation of resources to focus on priorities.
- Operate with a strong results orientation emphasizing the importance of efficiency and productivity and prioritizing the highest-value work on the team.
- Identify, recruit, interview, and hire software engineers to help teams scale effectively.
- Mentor engineers identifying stretch opportunities for them to grow.
- Manage the health and performance of the engineering team with empathy and authenticity, building trust, and inspiring them to overcome challenges.
- Seek different perspectives to solve problems, encouraging engineers and others to contribute ideas. Base your decisions on sound analysis and avoid biases.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation, and delivery of features while continuously improving the software engineering quality and efficiency.
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer with a focus on building backend services in the Java ecosystem.
- 2+ years experience directly leading an engineering team either as an Engineering Manager or Technical Lead & mentor.
- Strong understanding and experience building reliable, scalable, and maintainable software systems.
- Experience with software development, including shipping one or more products on large code bases that span a range of platforms and tools.
- Experience collaborating across departments to create solutions.
- Knowledge of frontend technologies such as Nodejs and Ember.
- Knowledge of digital content distribution and ecommerce storefronts.
- Running a live Game-as-a-Service.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).