Staff Software Engineer - League, Summoners Rift
As Software Engineers at Riot, we bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas and also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. We work with both new and current technology, creating innovative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value.
As a Staff Software Engineer on League of Legends’ Summoner’s Rift team, you will bring deep gameplay technical knowledge and skills to the game play domains in League of Legends creating new solutions to overcome complex and diverse gameplay challenges. You will also be leading the technical decision-making processes on the team, and you will be accountable for all technical decisions as well as the quality of the technology supported by the team. You will report into the Initiative Engineering Manager.
- Collaborate with cross-disciplinary teams (including Game Designers, Artists, Animators, Quality, and Producers) to shape player experiences
- Give feedback to designers and artists on the technical tradeoffs of their designs and ideas
- Give feedback to product leaders about product direction and player affinity
- Lead, design and build gameplay feature in the League of Legends game engine using C++, content tools and game scripting
- Lead, design and build game content tooling to support cross-disciplinary teams (including Game Designers, Artists, Animators, and Producers)
- Lead, design and build supporting around game client code and supporting backend services code
- Collaborate with and mentor engineering teammates
- Deliver exciting and delightful game experiences on a bi-weekly cadence
- Build projects implementing large complex system changes
- 8+ yrs of collective professional experience in game development
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable field or equivalent experience
- Experience working closely with non-engineering collaborators to deliver value
- Experience with C++ in complex code bases
- Experience with Lean or Agile development processes (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
- Experience with unit and integration testing of software
- Experience with mentoring fellow developers
- Experience leading technical designs and technical decisions
- Familiarity with building game content tools and pipelines
- Familiarity with Lua, Go, Java
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).