Game Design Manager - League, Champions
As Game Designers at Riot, we craft the systems, mechanics, and content that make up a deeply resonant player experience. We explore how to best push the boundaries of that experience to build new and engaging moments for players.
As the Game Design Manager of League's Champions team, you will be instrumental in helping to lead a cross-discipline team responsible for the delivery and shipment of new champions into the League ecosystem. Having an understanding of League or other MOBA’s will be crucial to understanding what appeals to our players, as well as assisting in the design of a variety of elements (such as counterplay, depth, uniqueness, and thematic cohesiveness). You will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world. You will report into the Senior Game Design Manager.
- Ensure that the LoL Champion Design is a highly performing team
- Anticipate player needs regarding champion gameplay and theme
- Work with team leads to develop a vision for new and updated champions in LoL
- Ensure execution in champion gameplay and delivery schedule for a range of projects in flight from early concept to final polish
- Manage and coach designers on the Champions team
- Influence senior leadership frequently regarding product direction and strategy, both regarding Champion team’s projects and related work (e.g. game balance)
- Build positive relationships across other teams at Riot in shared gameplay spaces (in particular the balance and new modes teams)
- 4+ years experience in Game Design role; experience as a game design owner of multiple large projects in parallel with successful delivery
- 1+ years people management experience; experience with mentorship of other designers leading to a promotion or substantial positive improvements in their work
- Experience generating effective and novel solutions for difficult problems in character design
- Top of industry capabilities in character gameplay design
- Experience communicating and expressing complex and nuanced designs in simple ways
- Leadership experience resolving conflict, and when needed offering difficult feedback with respect
- Builds strong relationships with leadership from a range of disciplines to multiply their quality and output
- Strong understanding of LoL champion design principles and can apply them effectively
- Can quickly produce a wide breadth of mechanics solutions, and generate and identify an excellent solution
- Can assess a Champion design thoroughly, identify all major problems, and prioritize them
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).