Technical Game Designer - Teamfight Tactics
As Technical Game Designers at Riot we contribute to world class teams in delivering great products to players. We focus on significant problem spaces and key features to make improvements to our products. Furthermore, we aim to deeply understand the players we serve as we craft features.
As a Technical Game Designer on our League Labs initiative, you will report into the Senior Game Design Manager. You will understand, design, optimize, build and communicate the player experience. Your analytical skills, player empathy, and creativity will help craft in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will work with interdisciplinary teams, contributing and translating feedback to innovate and iterate player-focused designs to delight millions around the world.
While this is primarily a game design role - the requirements also include significant engineering competency.
- Work with a diverse team of developers to build new content and features for League of Legends to deliver on Riot’s strategic goals
- Represent player experience and needs in discussion and team planning
- Openly share work in critiques and seek feedback from other designers
- Guide other designers and engineers in optimal ways of building features that allow us to develop quickly now and in the future.
- Be the "go to" person for complex implementations of design content, and for shepherding projects that require heavy programmer/designer interaction..
- Be an example to other designers in writing clever, elegant, and maintainable implementations within designer tools.
- 3+ years of experience in a Game Design role or similar experience.
- Ability to apply and execute an analytical approach to design. You identify what creates interesting gameplay, what’s appealing to players, and why things work. You’re able to translate lessons from one genre to another.
- You can identify a problem, generating a range of solutions to it, and identifying the most appropriate one. You’re then able create and communicate the details of that proposed solution.
- You work well with others, and are exemplary at sharing and seeking feedback.
- You deeply understand player needs, especially around deep, meaningful player connections with special game modes that keep League fresh.
- You are comfortable with C++, and can work broadly across a complex codebase for features and tools, and can ramp into new spaces as needed.
- You can clearly articulate the goals of your project to both designers and non-designers, along with the rationale behind how you execute on those goals.
- Your work is internally coherent, thematic where appropriate and trades off different values against each other to accomplish team goals.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).