VFX Artist II - League Labs, Teamfight Tactics
As part of the Real-Time VFX team, you’ll design and help implement the sleek, dynamic and dramatic special effects that add atmosphere and depth to gameplay. With your experience, you’ll create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information. You’ll use your artistic and technical skills to breathe life into undead spells, channel primal emotions and capture the essence of hundreds of champions.
As a VFX Artist II on the League Labs team, you will report to the VFX Art Lead. You will support a variety of projects, both in craft and game-play as we create assets that will both surprise and delight players. You will work on multiple products from Environment VFX, unique Damage Missiles, Little Legends, and converting League of Legends champions, traits, and new gameplay mechanics in featured game modes. You will work closely with the Delivery manager, Designers, Engineers, other discipline artists and the Art Lead to stay aligned on vision and priorities. You will also help Engineers and Designers solve problems on new exciting gameplay for Teamfight Tactics and featured game modes.
- Update iconic effects from Summoner's Rift into Teamfight Tactics
- Design and help implement the clear, atmospheric, and eye catching effects
- Balance visual satisfaction and gameplay clarity while working to ensure amazing effects are accurately representing a given action or state
- Use your craft skills to draw, paint, animate, and model as-needed
- Use your understanding of League of Legends and Auto Battlers to ensure cohesion between products
- Advise your team on clarity and implementation needs and help make decisions based on those needs
- 3+ years of professional experience
- Skills in 3D/2D Software - Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop
- Experience creating high-quality, stylized real-time VFX
- Proficiency in VFX development, including fundamentals like timing, shape language, color theory.
- Knowledge of MOBA or Auto Battler genre as it pertains to game design, isometric content and visual clarity
- 2+ years’ experience in video games industry
- Development experience creating materials and PBR assets within modern game engines (Unreal, Unity, etc)
- Familiarity with the League of Legends IP and skins universes
- Tools experience: have worked in several tools, pipelines, and game engines.
- Experience giving direction and delivering clear, constructive feedback to vendors
- Experience with the League of Legends tools and pipeline
As a part of the application process, you will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of your work and may be asked to complete an art test.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).